Ricoh annouces GR IIIx

I've been thinking about this new Ricoh camera a lot over the last couple of days. I find it very appealing as is; however, I don't find any of the add-on viewfinders and lenses interesting at all.

I would, however, find a camera based upon the GR with an integrated rangefinder-style EVF very interesting. I have to wonder, now that Ricoh has created two different built-in lenses and two incompatible conversion lenses, if perhaps it might make more sense to develop an interchangeable lens system based on the GR, focusing on making the most compact APS-C system possible. I'm imagining a body like a GR with a rangefinder-style EVF and tiny 21mm, 28mm, and 40mm equivalent lenses as close as possible in size to the GR lenses. Add a fast 50mm equivalent lens, a macro, and a short telephoto portrait lens and that would be just about a perfect APS-C system. Such a system would be different enough in size from the Pentax DSLRs that it would not be inconsistent with Ricoh's "we believe in the future of SLR photography" ethos—it would offer customers a completely different category of product.

We can dream!

I wonder how long before we see a 21MM equivalent ....

Perhaps they will do the same with a bit longer lens.

• If you have the 28mm EqFOV version, Ricoh offers a front-element 0.75x wide converter that is optically matched and produces a very nice 21mm EqFOV. I've tried this setup in the past and it performed very nicely!

• Similarly, they now offer a front-element 1.85x tele converter that will net a 75mm lens EqFOV on the 40mm EqFOV model.

It's probably not realistic or practical for them to release two more nearly identical models to cover these two lens options.

G

.... For me, no viewfinder - no buy.

I get it. It's a different way of working, for sure. Sean Reid calls the GR a "sketch camera," a description that perfectly fits how I use mine. A VF would likely negate that experience for me.

John

The GR 21 filmcam lurks in shadows as proof that Ricoh could recreate it, though surely it would be an outlier in digital as it was film. The .75 goggle was a good compromise for GRD and GR.

If anyone with a GR (not a GRIII!) would like to try a .75 goggle kit for shooting 21mm eqfov, get in touch.

I wonder how long before we see a 21MM equivalent ....

Seems like an easy way to leverage a lot of existing engineering.

If Ricoh makes a 21mm GR, I will buy that like an addict snatching at a bag of crack.

A fair number of people have wanted a 40mm equivalent GR, so I hope they put their money where their mouths are, and reward Ricoh with purchases. For me, it's a cool idea although not an instant buy like a 21mm would be.

I get it. It's a different way of working, for sure. Sean Reid calls the GR a "sketch camera," a description that perfectly fits how I use mine. A VF would likely negate that experience for me.

John

28 fov is allowing so called sketching.
I wonder how many of those who proclaims 40 fov to be perfect with screen only have practical experience with sketching at so narrow fov.

If Ricoh makes a 21mm GR, I will buy that like an addict snatching at a bag of crack.

A fair number of people have wanted a 40mm equivalent GR, so I hope they put their money where their mouths are, and reward Ricoh with purchases. For me, it's a cool idea although not an instant buy like a 21mm would be.

This!
21 fov cumbersome and bulky attachment kills whole GR idea. Saddle on baby deer.
I took GRD III and 21mm on IIIc on busy street walk last month and 21 was just more comfortable to work on people.
Once your mind is adapted for 28 it is natural to go wider. :)

This is a very strange product rollout. The announcement broke on YouTube and Ricoh's European site on Tuesday night, and still nothing on Ricoh's U.S. website or any U.S. retailer. Strange. Makes me wonder if someone in Ricoh's European operations jumped the gun.

Agreed on both the last two posts… certainly seems weird there’s been no official USA announcement.

I wonder how many of those who proclaims 40 fov to be perfect with screen only have practical experience with sketching at so narrow fov.

Yes, 40 would certainly change how I use this camera. I'll stick with wide and close.

image-asset.jpeg

I have the impression that the GR series is much more popular in Asia and Europe than in the bigger-is-better U.S. of A., but still, this is not the way to expand the market for this camera here.

"I'll stick with wide and close."

Lots to be said for this approach.

I like my GRII for the size of the camera and the lens. It's great for close-in places with restricted space where it can still be discreet. I used it when I had a colonoscopy recently--small prep area with limited mobility. But it's hard to remain discreet (or retain your dignity) with your ass hanging out for all to see. Pictures were pretty good though. And "No". I did NOT take pictures of my bare ass.

You like to make the assumption that people who express things haven't thought them through, don't you?

I shot with only the 20/1.7 on M4/3 for a long time.

You like to make the assumption that people who express things haven't thought them through, don't you?

I shot with only the 20/1.7 on M4/3 for a long time.

Sketch was the key word. You have missed it while making assumptions about me. Didn't you?

With Ricoh GRD III I just come to people close, talk and take quick shot. It is easy because GRD III is not taken as something serious and because 28 allows to do it quick&dirty while been at normal talking distance.

How often you did sketches like this with your 40mm FOV while carry on good times conversations by been close?

51304135042_bda2a869a2_o.jpg

Also, did you frame it by the screen or via EVF? I'm having difficulties with screen only on the street if FOV is narrow.

Back