Nikon to stop lens production at 2 factories

kkdanamatt

Well-known
Local time
6:11 AM
Nikon to cease operations at two of its interchangeable lens production factories in March
Published Wednesday, February 3, 2021 11:55:00 PM GMT
According to a report from Nikkei Shimbun, Nikon will cease operations at its Nagai and Aizu plants at the end of March, leaving just a single factory for domestic interchangeable lens production.

Sounds like business isn't at all good.

I don't see them going under but, they likely will be a shadow of their "former giant".

Sounds like they're rationalizing their lens production. With the digital camera market collapsing, they don't need three factories producing lenses when only one will do.

Jim B.

Consolidation and downsizing are necessities in a declining market. I do hope they will return production to Japan when the camera industry eventually finds a stable plateau.

As reported in an other more detailed article, in one factory only 108 employees worked, in the other only 54!
Does not make sense at all to run such tiny factories in different locations. Too costly.
Makes much sense to reorganise and concentrate production in less factories.
Nikon has also said that the workers will not be fired, but can work at the other Nikon factories.

From the sound of it, they are on track to say along with Stefan Daniel at Leica: "We are a small company with a big name."

That seems OK. I love Nikon gear!

My guess is that for the future, only the Nikon pro-type lenses will be made in Japan.
The kit lenses and the cheaper plastic zooms will continue to be made in Thailand, China, and elsewhere

My guess is that for the future, only the Nikon pro-type lenses will be made in Japan.
The kit lenses and the cheaper plastic zooms will continue to be made in Thailand, China, and elsewhere

No need to guess, Nikon is saying that clearly. The remaining factory in Japan is in Otawara City, Tochigi Prefecture, so that's Tochigi Nikon > number of employees 1,039, so a much bigger concern that the two factories that will close combined.

https://www.tochigi-nikon.co.jp/en/profile/summary/index.htm

There's a great article about Tochigi Nikon on Yodobashi Camera's website at the link below. In Japanese of course, but there's lots of photos which show what goes on there.

http://photo.yodobashi.com/nikon/100th/perform_5/

Back