Nikkor-S.C vs Nikkor-S

alexes

@alexedensmith
Local time
8:03 PM
Hello everyone, just wondering if the collective knowledge here can help me. I’ve just purchased a Nikkor 5cm/1.4 LTM lens, black belt version. I’ve now realised that the name ring marks it as Nikkor-S only, rather than S.C. Does anyone know if this makes it any different or did they just drop the C on later production runs? I know in S mount the S only version was the Olympic and different design but to my knowledge that was never released in LTM. Is there any way of dating the serial number too? Thanks all! IMG_8352.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8353.jpeg
    IMG_8353.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 7
Nikon dropped the C (denoting a coated lens) in late 1958 or early 1959 for S-mount lenses, starting with approximately serial number 3960000. Info found on page 106 of Nikon Rangefinder Camera by Robert Rotoloni. While the book only discusses the S-mount lenses, it seems reasonable to make the same assumption with regard to LTM lenses.

Last edited:
Yours is a very late one in LTM.
Nikon changed the optical formula of the Sonnar type 5cm F1.4 throughout the run, yours is probably the latest.
These changes are undocumented as far as I've seen. Some of the differences can be measured, discovered taking apart my 5005 series 5cm F1.4 lens and measuring diameter of the optics and fixture, compare to later ones.

Yours is a very late one in LTM.
Nikon changed the optical formula of the Sonnar type 5cm F1.4 throughout the run, yours is probably the latest.
These changes are undocumented as far as I've seen. Some of the differences can be measured, discovered taking apart my 5005 series 5cm F1.4 lens and measuring diameter of the optics and fixture, compare to later ones.
Brilliant, thanks for your help!

Nikon dropped the C (denoting a coated lens) in late 1958 or early 1959 for S-mount lenses, starting with approximately serial number 3960000. Info found on page 106 of Nikon Rangefinder Camera by Robert Rotoloni. While the book only discusses the S-mount lenses, it seems reasonable to make the same assumption with regard to LTM lenses.
I put one too many zeroes in the serial number, should be 396000. Damn astigmatism!

hello again good people. this lens has now developed a broken aperture blade sadly. does anyone know if i can use the aperture mechanism from an S Mount lens or whether i have to get one from an LTM lens? @Sonnar Brian have you ever had to repair one of these? Thanks in advance.

hello again good people. this lens has now developed a broken aperture blade sadly. does anyone know if i can use the aperture mechanism from an S Mount lens or whether i have to get one from an LTM lens? @Sonnar Brian have you ever had to repair one of these? Thanks in advance.
The blades from an S-Mount version should work. BUT- look for one from around the same serial number. The 5cm F1.4 changed designs through the production.

This one is about as low-priced that I've seen for a complete lens. I've bought from Robert's before. Never had a problem with them.

I found that the late made black ring 5cm Nikkor lenses of f 1.4 and f 2 are more prone to breaking aperture blades than the all chrome lenses, the early Tokyo marked ones are especially rugged, just my personal observation.

Back