My camera/lens of the year I was born

Cool looking camera.

My birth year camera is a simple little Agfa Silette, but it has been in the family for a long time. The little triplet lens does a very good job. It started having occasional hiccups cocking the shutter reliably when I advance the film a few months ago. It happens more in colder weather so I have not used it now for a few weeks. I have made some inquiries about getting it cleaned and serviced so I hope I can get it back in service again soon.

I have a Pentax H3 (S3) from 1961. I'm looking for late production Canon P made in that same year. I have given up on ever being able to afford a 1961 Leica M2.

Chris

53049344757_296aedaa90_c.jpg

Body is the same year as my body. I don't have a lens of the same year, at least not yet. What is kind of interesting is the body was built 2 years before the 50th anniversary.

I do have a Pentax H1a that could qualify but I almost never use it - that view finder is dim.

But I could find a nice 1963 made F, plain prism & a matching 1963 50/2 easily enough. Or a really late Nikon SP and pretend it was made in 63 (there is a little wiggle room on exactly when production ended from what I'm seeing online ;) )

Dear Board,

I was born in June of 1960. My grandfather's 1961 Nikon F s/n 644xxx with a 5.8cm f1.4 Nikkor S came out of Japan a few months later. That's as close as I'll ever come. ;)

I have his camera, and it still works and gets used annually at least.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

IMG_20231223_205155_HDR by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

Mine is Nikon FG-20 with 35mm f2 AI-s, both from 1984. Amazing performers and great camera to use. Although I haven't put a roll through it since last summer. Actually got it from my father who bought it the year I was born. It's my second camera after receiving Olympus 35RC from my father when I was 4 years old (still got that little camera that really could).

Mine is Nikon FG-20 with 35mm f2 AI-s, both from 1984. Amazing performers and great camera to use. Although I haven't put a roll through it since last summer. Actually got it from my father who bought it the year I was born. It's my second camera after receiving Olympus 35RC from my father when I was 4 years old (still got that little camera that really could).
Really? Amongst the RFF crowd, that camera, and you, are still wet behind the ears! ;)

I was born in late 1951, and most of the cameras I like came after that (later 1950s to early 1980s).

Maybe a Rolleiflex (as I like TLRs and I like Tessars and Tessar-types) or a Voigtlander folder with a Color Skopar (Tessar-type) would work.

Then again, I wouldn't throw a Voigtlander folder with a Color Heliar back.

- Murray

I am of the rapidly diminishing pre-war generation. I have quite a few cameras that were in use or in production in the year 1940. That means uncoated lenses and odd formats. One of my favorites of the era is the Kodak Brownie Reflex. It uses 127 film and offers the choice of "I" or "B" shutter settings.

4527049172_e42055851a_o.jpegbrothers.png

I am of the rapidly diminishing pre-war generation. I have quite a few cameras that were in use or in production in the year 1940. That means uncoated lenses and odd formats. One of my favorites of the era is the Kodak Brownie Reflex. It uses 127 film and offers the choice of "I" or "B" shutter settings.

View attachment 4830693View attachment 4830694
My late mother was about eight years your senior, and this was the camera she had from the time she was in high school up thru the first years of marriage. I cleaned it up and it still makes decent pictures.

Best,
-Tim

Back