Lens Thoughts 50mm - Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm vs Lomography Jupiter 3+

trash116

Local time
11:38 AM
Hi there,
I am looking for a new 50mm lens, the two that most interest me are

1) Lomography Jupiter 3+ 50mm f1.5
2) Voigtlander Heliar Classic 50mm f1.5m

The Lomography is used, and will be costing around £50/$65 less than the Voigtlander which is new.

I'm going to be using on a Epson R-D1 (crop sensor CCD) camera.

I know there's lot's of other 50MM lenses available, but i'm interested in these two.

I had seen quite a few negative comments about the Lomography upon it's release, mainly with people focused on the cost, and cost compared to vintage Jupiters.

I wondered if anyone had any thoughts, opinions on these two, and if anyone has used them both and what they thought compared to each other.

Thanks in advance

I have the Jupiter-3+. Probably the first one sold in the US, Serial Number 200. The focus on mine is perfect, out of the box. No play in the helical at all. That is what you want in a Jupiter-3.
HOWEVER: Like the original Jupiters, sample-to-sample variation comes into play. Be sure to have an inspect and return period when buying one used. I do not have a percentage- but have a second Jupiter-3+ with some play in the helical. Problem solved using thicker grease, just like I've done on original ones.L1023677.jpg

My second Jupiter-3+ with the "Thick Grease" treatment, close-up and wide-open on the M8.
Focus is perfect.

Last edited:
Seriously? I'd suggest looking for a Voigtlander Nokton Aspherical (LTM version) instead). It's important to make sure you get one that is with out haze but you can get a good one for less than $400 (I did) if you are careful in your shopping. It remains, arguably, the finest modern 50mm lens of the modern era.

Any Sonnar is a delight (I actually prefer the f/2 over the f/1.5 but that's aesthetics....) Still for a reasonably priced, fast aperture, LTM lens, the Nokton is very hard to beat. Keep it in mind.

OTOH, Brian's portaits of his beautful daughter are hard to ignore ... ;)

I think this choice is all about the bokeh. Look at the out-of-focus part of the image in Brian's snap above and compare it to the OOF areas in the pics in this review:

The Voigtlander 50 f/1.5 Heliar Lens Review. The Dream Queen. |

They have a very, very different quality, one to the other. One is the classic Sonnar rendering: smooth. The other is whatever the modern lens is producing. See the link above. Compare them, choose the one that fits your vision, and then make your purchase.

I have to say, though, the price you mention for the Jupiter seems pretty high for what you are thinking of getting. I have been out of the market for a while tho' so whadda I know?

FC7BF411-5259-42FD-8A9F-37AC814911C3.jpeg
Nephew.
Ilford HP5 PLUS - Leica M2 -
New Jupiter 3+ 50/1.5 wide open, minimum focus.
Great new all brass Sonnar; the Zeiss/Cosina C Sonnar ZM has wobble due the Teflon roller pins usury; as well as Skyllaney said

New Jupiter 3+ 50/1.5​

No plastic or Teflon inside.
Brass & glass only.
Small, compact & solid.
Built as well as should be; just as upon a time.
Coating right as Leitz lenses as upon a time.
13 rounded blades diaphragm.
27.5 inches minimum focus.
Aperture f/1.5 - f/22.
Filter thread 40.5mm.
Original Sonnar scheme elements/groups 7/3; no modified like Zeiss/Cosina Sonnar C ZM 50/1.5

The Zeiss/Cosina 50/1.5 Sonnar C ZM has:
Elements/Groups 6/4.
35.4 inches minimum focus
10 no rounded blades diaphragm;
Teflon roller pins focusing gear
;
Aperture f/1.5 - f/16;
Filter thread 46mm

For further info ask to “Sonnar Brian”:
Zeiss & derivates Master opto-mechanics expert guy

Attachments

• IMG_2628.jpg
    IMG_2628.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2625.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I think this choice is all about the bokeh. Look at the out-of-focus part of the image in Brian's snap above and compare it to the OOF areas in the pics in this review:

The Voigtlander 50 f/1.5 Heliar Lens Review. The Dream Queen. |

They have a very, very different quality, one to the other. One is the classic Sonnar rendering: smooth. The other is whatever the modern lens is producing. See the link above. Compare them, choose the one that fits your vision, and then make your purchase.

I have to say, though, the price you mention for the Jupiter seems pretty high for what you are thinking of getting. I have been out of the market for a while tho' so whadda I know?
The price of the Jupiter 3+ may seem high, but you have to consider it a hand-built object made only of brass and glass. If you think it is more convenient to buy Zeiss/Cosina, now out of production, or Voigtlander/Cosina, know that in these there is plenty of plastic and glue inside them. Just for instance: Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 II Nokton Classic

Attachments

• 8457925F-5C60-4D45-A847-FFCA6C4499F2.jpeg
    8457925F-5C60-4D45-A847-FFCA6C4499F2.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 215636E8-6490-4EC3-976C-E883BFD97A80.jpeg
    215636E8-6490-4EC3-976C-E883BFD97A80.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 11
Unless you're getting one from Brian, a J3 is a crap shoot. I'd rather spend my money on more enjoyable things.

Like the Amedeo adapter I just got to use my Nikon mount lenses on my Leica.

Or you could get a Nikon 50/1.4 in LTM.
Or even a Canon 50/1.5 in LTM. Make sure the glass is clean though.

Personally I prefer the 50/2 Sonnars as I like the look from them better but that's a different discussion.

Try the Voigtländer Heliar 50mm f2, the black collapsible version with M-mount. Mechanically and optically a masterpiece. No glue or plastic. Very solid build, much better than the LTM-Color-Skopar 50mm f2.5. The black finish of the lens is black paint on brass, so when you are looking for an affordable black paint 50mm lens on your black paint M-Leica, this is it.

gelatin silver print (heliar 50mm f2 collapsible black) leica m2

Amsterdam, Nassaukerk, 2023

1710932724925.png

Back