Leica M8, Epson R-D1 and Pixii users: The perfect APS-C rangefinder lens could exist

Asahizuiko

Local time
10:29 AM
I was browsing Voigtlander's website and noticed they do a 23mm F1.2 Nokton lens in Nikon Z mount. I can't help but wonder if Voigtlander could tweak this design to add rangefinder coupling. I know for a rough 35mm equivalent there are 21mm and 25mm lenses we can use, but there's nothing I know of with anything near a max speed of F1.2. As an Epson R-D1 user, I'd buy it.

From my (limited) understanding, 23mm would be a new focal length to design an RF cam for, but Voigtlander have been making L39 and M mount lenses for years so I presume it wouldn't be beyond their ken to do it. I suppose the flange distance on Z mount is shorter, so there's that to contend with too. Perhaps that's a sticking point.

Between Epson, Pixii and M8 users, is the market for this dream big enough? I don't know, but Voigtlander seem happy enough to produce all sorts niche lenses. Afterall, wouldn't demand for the Z mount lens be small in itself?

Note there are also 6 or 7 24mm M mount lenses available from Leica and some of the Chinese manufacturers, I use an Iberit 24mm f2.8 on my R-D1s which givers me 36mm equivalent which is near enough,

Note there are also 6 or 7 24mm M mount lenses available from Leica and some of the Chinese manufacturers, I use an Iberit 24mm f2.8 on my R-D1s which givers me 36mm equivalent which is near enough,
Yeah, good point. But none of them are compact+F1.2 I would guess

What about the 24mm Summilux? It’s f1.4, which is close enough, and it’s better optically than anything in the focal length range that is compact and doesn’t use software to correct aberrations.

Back