Kodak Motormatic 35

Tim Murphy

Well-known
Local time
12:20 PM
Dear Board,

I bought 2 of these years ago based on positive internet reviews of them being fun little 35mm cameras that worked well for the folks who reviewed them. I finally decided to take a look at them after many years.

One camera appears to be without issues but when loaded with film it fires one shot and then nothing. The winder does not move once wound to full tension after the first shot and neither does the shutter button do anything after the first shot. Pressing the rewind button and holding allows the film to be rewound but it just seems like it is dead to me.

The second one has the viewfinder labels out of phase. Set at 4 plus feet it reads group, at 8 plus feet it reads scene, and at 40 plus feet it reads close up. It does however load properly and wind and advance the film. I know that because I loaded the film I ran in the first camera and shot it twice to make sure it worked. I rewound it mid-roll twice and the rewind button properly relieved the tension on the winder spring. The old meter seems to be reasonably accurate when compared to a known good meter set to the same film speed.

My question is, what are the odds that the lens is somehow rotated on the mount on the second camera and the focus indications in the viewfinder are in fact correct? I suppose I could shoot a roll of film and develop it to confirm that, but I'd rather not trash another $ 10.00 roll of film on a camera that only cost me as much as a roll of film. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

I have not used mine in years- but it worked. This is a camera that needs film running through it to fire the shutter. Does the film show any signs that it broke during transport?

If you have an old roll of expired film, might be worth testing.

For the lens- you should be able to see it move out from the barrel as you focus from infinity to 3ft. I would trust the distance scale over the VF readout.
I do trust mine. Even the meter.

I have not used mine in years- but it worked. This is a camera that needs film running through it to fire the shutter. Does the film show any signs that it broke during transport?

If you have an old roll of expired film, might be worth testing.

For the lens- you should be able to see it move out from the barrel as you focus from infinity to 3ft. I would trust the distance scale over the VF readout.
I do trust mine. Even the meter.
Dear Brian,

The film is fine, just light fogged after repeated attempts to get camera #1 working. I think this camera is dead.

Camera # 2, the one with the out of whack viewfinder display is now on exposure 15 on my third try to load it and get it to work. I think I will load it with film that hasn't already been ruined and see what happens?

Maybe it's my old eyes, but I really don't see anything happening when the focal distance is changed on either lens. It could also be because I'm not sure what I am supposed to be seeing. I can tell you when I change the distance I see no real change to the appearance of the lens though. The distance scale changes easily, but nothing seems to happen to the lens.

Edited to add - Upon further review, the gap between the pointer on the body of the camera and the distance dots on the lens does seem to change slightly as you go from 3 ft to infinity. At infinity the distance between the pointer and dots is slightly less.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Last edited:
Tim- what you describe is correct, I'm attaching some shots of my known-good camera.

The travel of the lens is only a few millimeters from 3ft to infinity. The viewfinder readout is "Close" at 3ft, Group at 9ft (tickmark), and "Scene" at the tickmark between 25ft and 50ft.

Also note the built in series V filter holder. I have a UV on mine.RIMG0004.jpgRIMG0005.jpgRIMG0006.jpg

Tim- what you describe is correct, I'm attaching some shots of my known-good camera.

The travel of the lens is only a few millimeters from 3ft to infinity. The viewfinder readout is "Close" at 3ft, Group at 9ft (tickmark), and "Scene" at the tickmark between 25ft and 50ft.

Also note the built in series V filter holder. I have a UV on mine.View attachment 4829807View attachment 4829808View attachment 4829809
Dear Brian,

That's how mine works too. I'll put some fresh film in it and focus by feet ignoring the viewfinder display and see what develops, pardon the pun. ;)

I have the Series V holder on mine too, but no filter right now.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Back