Help with Ultron 35mm f1.7 Aspherical..

B_Antony

Local time
11:51 PM
Hello, Wondering if anyone knows if the letter front ‘ring’ is glued on or threaded on this lens? I need to get behind the front lens group to clean haze and have read some Voigtlander lenses had this ring glued on.. anyone with direct experience opening this lens please chime in.. much appreciated 🙏IMG_5565.jpeg

No direct experience but I‘d try to turn it first by friction. If it is threaded, perfect. If glued, it may become loose by that method.

The similarly constructed 50/1.5 Nokton LTM: namering unscrewed using a rubber ring. I made one by using a an old rubber focusing ring. You could make one from a sheet of rubber, etc. Once off- revealed slots for a spanner to take the front element out.

Have you tried the rubber lens removal vacuum pads that Japan hobby tool sells? I was able to use those to take apart a Nokton 50 1.5 LTM front ring.

@B_Antony : when the rubber tool comes in, and you use it on the Ultron- please post pictures of the repair.

When I worked on the 50/1.5 Nokton: I found the inner retaining ring holding the front doublet in place had not been screwed all the way in. Someone had screwed the ring to be flush with the surrounding rim, probably used a spanner with large tips. I used needle-nosed pliers as a spanner, found the ring went well past the rim. BUT- if I had used a regular spanner, the flat tips would have stopped at the ring. Not sure if the 35/1.7 is similar, so "heads-up".

I have this lens too. The front ring easily unscrews by using the well-known set of six round cone-shaped black rubber tools that fit together and that is, for a small amount, available online. These cone-shaped tools make it very easy to remove the name rings from lenses that are not glued but only are screwed into the mount. The removal (with thinner) of the white and red lacquer greatly improves the appearance of the (great) lens, Utron 35mm f1.7 (second version, black paint, LTM).

Last edited:
Back