Help to choose small camera with 35mm lens

gzisis69

Established
Local time
1:57 PM
Hi there, i want to buy a small digital camera with a 50mm equavalent lens. The priorities are to be almost pocketable and have a wiewfinder. Which would you suggest ?

The Panasonic LX100 I/II are small and pocketable with a VF. It has a zoom lens, but it can be set to remember the last focal distance used so every time you start it up it goes right to 50 eqv. It's almost pants pocketable - though you probably don't want to put any digital in your pants pocket since it's going to lead to dust on the sensor or in the lens.

Yes, the LX100 is very good, and the previous post describes it accurately.

If you want truly pocketable, then Sony's RX100 meets that description, and is also excellent. It can also be set to start up with a chosen focal length, by means of one the 'user memory' settings. However, you'll need deep pockets for the RX100 - not in the sense of accommodating the camera;), but in the financial sense - i.e. in order to buy it. :(

There really is nothing with a large sensor unfortunately. The posters before me have told you the best M43 and 1" options... since they remember the focal length upon power up and have EVFs. The Canon G5X II as well fits this description. The closest I have come is the Fujifilm X-E3 with 35mm F2....but while small, it isn't pocketable (only the 1" cameras really are). The X100 series...35mm and also not pocketable.

Sadly, there are a few truly pocketable 28mm options with APSC sensors (Ricoh GR, Fuji XF10)...but the tiny high quality 50mm camera has been forgotten in our cellphone / selfie culture.

I truly hope we will see a pocketable option, like the Ricoh GR, with a pop up EVF, an APSC size sensor, and a 40-50mm equiv lens. I might not need anything else.

Your heading says 35mm lens, your description says 50mm lens.

If you want a superb digicam with a 35mm equivalent lens, then the new Fuji X100V is outstanding.

If you want a superb digicam with a 50mm equivalent lens, then you'd have to buy one with a zoom as mentioned above, or something like a Fuji XE3 or Xpro2/3 that you can shoot with the Fuji 35mm lens which is a 50mm equivalent. Or use the 27mm lens which is just over 40mm equivalent but has the advantage of being a very small lens.

You can also go to M43 and something like the Olympus PenF and add a 25mm lens, which is 50mm equivalent. But neither the Olympus nor the Fujis are pocketable, even though I can slip my Fuji XP3 w/ 27mm (or X100V) into a large coat pocket.

I walk with E-PL1 and pancake zoom in my pocket. It looks like Pen F is good update with almost same size of the cameras. I even have funky, tiny 25mm f8 Lomography lens for it. :)

At one time I cobbled together an Olympus EP2 with an Olympus 25/2.8 plus a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter. The camera had no finder but I used an old Leica 5cm finder and made do. It wasn't really pocketable but it was fairly small and handy.

Back