DXO One as standalone *tiny* camera

BTW, if anyone has a lead on the camera stand/tripod adapter for the DXO One, please let me know as I have misplaced or lost mine. I have been unable to find one on the web.

I haven't found them either. The waterproof case has a tripod connector too but then you have the additional glass in front of the camera.

Shawn

How do you like the RX0? For awhile I had been thinking a very small fixed focal length 1"ish sensor camera would be a great take everyone device. I was excited about the RX0 when it came out. Initial sample shots had me questioning the lens a little, newer sample shots look better. It was more than I wanted to spend for that type of device.

I just love the RX0. The more I use it, the more I like it.
1. Portability. It goes in a pocket and I can barely feel it until I want it. It's the size of the average DSLR battery.

2. Stealth. Hardly anyone looks at it, even if I'm shooting with it. The shutter is almost completely silent; the only sound is from the lens motor making miniscule focusing sounds.

3. Hardiness. The RX0 is drop proof, crushproof, waterproof and pretty much sealed against dust. I feel so much more comfortable carrying this than just about any other camera for this reason.

4. High ISO. Because of the f4 lens, the RX0 regularly hits ISO 6400 with usable results.

5. Image quality. The lens is designed such that the 20mp sensor creates an 18mp image. It is sharp across the image and has very little distortion. The files, when converted from Sony raw to DNG, play very well in Lightroom and have great colours.

Battery life isn't great, but it's not bad, either. I can get over 200 shots from it over the course of a day. And it charges by microUSB, so it can be charged by the same cable I use for my phone, without the need for a separate battery charger. More cameras should have this feature.

Close focus isn't the best. This is not a macro lens.

Did I mention that the video quality is great, although it's meant to be colour graded.

EV comp is very fiddly to adjust. I just let the camera shoot in P and do exposure adjustments in post. Even in P, the RX0 seems to know when you're shooting at night and takes care to not expose like it's daylight.

RX0 - The Light of the Times by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Latest Games by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Sunset over Altona by Archiver, on Flickr

RX0 - Looking Down by Archiver, on Flickr

Back