Action Cameras? Any Experience or Recommendations?

ktmrider

Well-known
Local time
12:22 PM
I am thinking about an action camera to go along on my around the world trip. I have never used one and really have resisted owning one up to now. I don't do a lot with video on either my MP240 or X100F but the action cameras are so small I am thinking about one to use in an adverse environment where I don't want to risk the Leica or Fuji. Or something fun like diving with whale sharks in PI in July.

The best seems to be the GoPro 7 or the new DJI OSMO 4K Action which will be released at the end of the week. Prices are similar between $350-400 at B&H. And isn't it amazing how cheap some of this technology is when it does not have "Leica" on it?

Again, I know very little about video and remember with a bit of horror having to sit through Super 8 movies of relative's vacation as a kid. And I don't want to inflict that on anyone

The new GoPro and DJI Osmo cameras have excellent in body stabilization, which makes shaky Super 8 videos look as awful as they were. Today's action cams have really slick footage which is better than a phone and usable in many situations.

Although not an action camera, the one I use for rougher environments is the Sony RX0. It lacks stabilization but has very decent video, and the 18mp stills from the 1 inch sensor are excellent. It's actually become my go-to pocket camera.

We purchased cheapest GoPro. It is high quality camera. Skiing in warm winter and diving in cold summer is taken with it. :) Our youngest one just likes to record herself at home with it as well :)
This GoPro model is nothing but small cube, no vf, screen, nothing. It is perfect on the helmet or to just hold it by fingers. It also has floating jacket as option or floating stick.

Action Cameras? Any Experience or Recommendations?

I use the GoPro Hero Session (circa 2016) on a hot shoe mount on my Bessa R4M.
Very small - a bit larger than a pool cue chalk.
It is most used by me to capture a panorama or to capture sounds associated with a film scene.
At day end you can use the mobile app to connect to the GoPro and edit video.
If you are interested in strictly in sound only then get a Xoom recorder and a hot shoe mount.

Here is my GoPro hot shoe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0183JT776/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wKZ6Cb035Q02D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back