World's Least Expensive Shutter Tester? $2.99

I have one, with plug. In which case it is very accurate (it measures light). You can use the app on its own, but then the microphone measures the sound of the shutter opening and closing. Not quite as easy to use, and obviously most applicable to leaf shutters.

I use a lot of old cameras, and leaf shuttered MF and LF lenses. For me it is a life saver. I print out the correct speeds and laminate them, and bring them along when using lens/camera. Leaf shutters can be amazingly erratic. If speeds are off, the tolerances needn't be linear over the whole scale. Two neighbouring stops can differ considerably, one maybe -1/3, the other -1/1 or more. So yes, for me this is a very useful app (preferably with plug)

Hello,

I'm the developer of "Shutter-Speed" and the PhotoPlug. Nice to hear that some of you already have the plug in use !

For those who don't have an iOS-device:
I am currently working on an android-version of the app. I haven't worked with android so far, so it will take at least some weeks or months until it will be available for download. However, the first attempts look promising, so I'm looking forward that there will be an android version in the not too distant future ;)

As of this morning the plug was $28.05 shipped to the US. Fluctuation in the dollar/Euro rate.

Hope it works as advertised.

Best,
-Tim

Echolot, I hope you will consider porting to Windows Phone as well. Us Windows Phone users really miss out on cool photo apps like yours.

Big thumbs up for Lucas' Shutter Speed app and Photo Transistor. Works really well with the Nikon FM2n, F2, F3HP and Leica M6TTL that I tried it with.

As an old fart who always favored mechanical shutters over electronic shutters, I got a good smack down from the results of my shutter speed tests. The F3HP with its electronic shutter blew the FM2n, F2 and Leica M6TTL (with their all mechanical shutters) out of the water as far as accuracy goes. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

Best,
-Tim

Can this be used to test a IIIF? I remember reading that the waveform for a focal plane shutter was harder to measure than a leaf shutter.

All four cameras I tested were focal plane shutters and it worked great for me (with the photo transistor). I think it works much better with the Photo Transistor, compared to how the App works where it just records the shutter sounds.

And if your IIIf is like mine was, this app even has the old shutter speeds, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc. Again, I used the photo transistor and shined a bright LED light through the front of the camera and placed the sensor in place of the camera back (which I removed). In the case of your IIIf, you would have to remove the camera body so you could take a light reading from behind the focal plane shutter.

Best,
-Tim

I have an old book by Crawely of BJP fame on the F3 and he was quite impressed with the consistency of the F3 shutter especially over the already good F2

All four cameras I tested were focal plane shutters and it worked great for me (with the photo transistor). I think it works much better with the Photo Transistor, compared to how the App works where it just records the shutter sounds.

And if your IIIf is like mine was, this app even has the old shutter speeds, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc. Again, I used the photo transistor and shined a bright LED light through the front of the camera and placed the sensor in place of the camera back (which I removed). In the case of your IIIf, you would have to remove the camera body so you could take a light reading from behind the focal plane shutter.

Best,
-Tim

My plan to test my IIIf is to remove the lens and shine a laser through the front so that the reflection off the pressure plate (when the shutter is open) hits the photo-plug.

Might work?

My photo plug is arriving sometime this week, so I'm going to give it a try.

I received the photo plug the other day, but haven't had time to test it out. Maybe I'll do that now... ;-)

---
Did it. Works beautifully! thanks!

G

My plan to test my IIIf is to remove the lens and shine a laser through the front so that the reflection off the pressure plate (when the shutter is open) hits the photo-plug.

Might work?

My photo plug is arriving sometime this week, so I'm going to give it a try.

Please update this thread when you test it out. I don't want to / can't remove the body and I'd like to see if this approach works.

Back