Which Canon FD Cameras Have Split Prism Screens?

Steve M.

Mentor
Local time
12:54 PM
I have this Canon FT camera. It's a fine camera, quite well made, but I just can't focus it. There's no split prism, just a circular fresnel area in the middle of the focus screen. Looking at Canon FD and FL lens prices, I'd like to try some, but need a body w/ a split prism. Manual control would be nice too. All I see for options are the A-1, AE-1, and AE-1 Programs, which have limited manual control, and the F1, which costs more than I want to pay. Are there any other FD mount cameras that might have the right screen?

The A1, AE-1, and AE-1 program all have full manual control. I had an AE1, and then an A1 both of which had split screen centres surrounded by a circle of fresnel as standard, don't think they where changeable so should all be the same. Watch out for dodgy shutters on the A1, they dry out and develop a distinct squeek as far as I remember.

Late model Canon EFs' had a split-prism screen. As did the Canon AV-1, T-70 and T-90. And, as you mention, you can get a split-prism screen for the F-1, AE-1 Program and A-1.

Jim B.

All three of mine do (New F-1, A-1 and AE-Program). I don't know that the focus screens on mine are standard, but I do think they are. One thing you might think about, though, is whether you really need the split prism: one of the nice things about focusing an old-fashioned lens on an old-fashioned SLR is that you can have as many focus points as you like: just get what you want in focus on the ground glass (or more modern equivalent) by manually focusing the lens. (I will concede that the more modern the camera, the harder it is to do this, due to manufacturers becoming more concerned about VF brightness at the expense of ease of manual focus, and that this often depends on the state of your own eyesight.)

...Mike

I find it easier to focus without the split prism circle. The key is not to concentrate too hard on sharpness. Very quickly go behind the point of focus, then in front and then forward again. If you do it right the subject will "snap" into focus, even in low light. it's more of a contrast thing then a sharpness thing.

The AT-1 has a split image screen. It is electronic like an AE-1, but with just the manual controls.

The AT-1 has an overhanging speed dial, very handy.

I own a dozen different Nikon manual focus slr's. For me, the split level focus screen is a must unless shooting landscapes or you really have the aperture stepped down. You just can't miss with those screens.... but that's just me. I have one Nikomat that has the center area focus but it did not come standard with that camera. For my Nikon F, the split level screen is a must and luckily they are cheap. replacements for the FA, FE2 & FM2 are not. Those cameras all have interchangeable focusing screens like the pro level cameras.

Back