What have you just BOUGHT?

Shutter dial modified to make a cam for shoe mounted flash sync? Looks like it gives you more room to reach the dial with finder in place.
Yeah, it's got the shutter dial designed for the VACUU. It feels a little weird to use, but you're right, it is also a little smaller. I just got some vernier callipers on it and it looks like it's 14mm in diameter compared to the dials on my IIIf and IIIg, which come in at 16.75mm.

I'm half-considering seeing if I can find a VACUU that's missing its dial now. After all, this Ic has the "nub" on the side to mount my CTOOM... it seems rude not to.

If I remember correctly the dials on early 1s and IIs etc were quite big, then they got smaller and stayed smaller for a/b/c series then got bigger again with the built in flash gubbins of f and g.

The later I series are quite fun to cover with accessories, particularly if you try and use both shoes!

I believe 1941, coated and seems to be in good shape. I just posted to the gallery a shot taken at dusk with some bright lights included the frame, done to test for the effects of any haze or dust, which seem to be very minor if any at all. This thing is really tiny and light. Sharp in the center, less so the edges.

35mm elmar 1941.jpg

I bought one 49mm and one 58mm spacer rings to slightly extend the lens hoods for my tamron 28mm 02b and tamron 135mm 038 lenses and 100 Isopropyl Alcohol wipes to see if that's a good idea to get rid of the slight stickiness of various lenses. I merrily wiped away on the said two lenses as they seemed most affected, then I used them on the glass of my pd prism finder S and focusing screen of my m645 1000s as there was black bits in the viewfinder, only to later notice that I'd been sent Ethyl Alcohol wipes. Bah! :mad: . At present it doesn't seem to have done any damage, but the rubber bits ain't any less sticky.

Miranda Sensorex with case, 50/1.8, Soligor 28/2.8 and Soligor 35/2.8; Focabell bellows attachment. Other accessories, including a Braun 201 flash.

Also, a Minolta 7s (black, clean, very sharp looking) with case and cap.

All working perfectly, including the meters. The Miranda 50 has some fungus but I think I can get in at it, since disassembly of this lens is almost alarmingly easy. The Minolta's viewfinder is hazy, but usable, though it should be attended to. (I am nervous about marring the black finish when I remove the top cover.) All these had been in long-term storage and so there's some mustiness, but I'm very pleased with the overall condition of the equipment.

The Sensorex was the first SLR I ever laid eyes or hands on; my father bought one circa 1969-70. I've always loved the heft and handling of this camera. Oh, and there was a 20 exposure roll of Panatomic X in the Sensorex, which I've never used. Only a few frames had been exposed, so I think I will finish the roll, either in the Sensorex or another camera. Hard to guess the vintage of the film, but it must be over 30 years old at a minimum (I think they stopped making it in the late '80s). Worth finishing the roll, since I understand this film is quite stable. Nominally 32 ISO according to the cartridge; I will try rating it at 25.

All for $100. (Sorry if putting the price in is crass, but the bargain is part of the fun.)

I bought one 49mm and one 58mm spacer rings to slightly extend the lens hoods for my tamron 28mm 02b and tamron 135mm 038 lenses and 100 Isopropyl Alcohol wipes to see if that's a good idea to get rid of the slight stickiness of various lenses. I merrily wiped away on the said two lenses as they seemed most affected, then I used them on the glass of my pd prism finder S and focusing screen of my m645 1000s as there was black bits in the viewfinder, only to later notice that I'd been sent Ethyl Alcohol wipes. Bah! :mad: . At present it doesn't seem to have done any damage, but the rubber bits ain't any less sticky.
Another valuable cleaning product is sensor swabs. I've used them on focusing screens and prisms when I was afraid of scratches from any other cleaning method. I would even trust them on camera mirrors; after spraying compressed air on my Hasselblad's innards, I realized I had also sprayed propellant residue on the mirror (dumb move, yes!). I swallowed hard, crossed my fingers, and used the swabs. Perfectly clean! Of course, try at your own risk...

Miranda Sensorex with case, 50/1.8, Soligor 28/2.8 and Soligor 35/2.8; Focabell bellows attachment. Other accessories, including a Braun 201 flash.

The Sensorex was the first SLR I ever laid eyes or hands on; my father bought one circa 1969-70. I've always loved the heft and handling of this camera. Oh, and there was a 20 exposure roll of Panatomic X in the Sensorex, which I've never used. Only a few frames had been exposed, so I think I will finish the roll, either in the Sensorex or another camera. Hard to guess the vintage of the film, but it must be over 30 years old at a minimum (I think they stopped making it in the late '80s). Worth finishing the roll, since I understand this film is quite stable. Nominally 32 ISO according to the cartridge; I will try rating it at 25.

All for $100. (Sorry if putting the price in is crass, but the bargain is part of the fun.)

Ya gotta finish the film in the Sensorex - different owners of the same camera and different owners of the same film, both (probably) producing different styles of photos on the same film using the same camera.

The Sensorex was the first SLR I ever laid eyes or hands on; my father bought one circa 1969-70. I've always loved the heft and handling of this camera.
I like the way they integrated the film wind lever, shutter speed dial, and exposure counter all in one place. They are attractive cameras. I believe they were well-designed and fairly reliable, but competition among SLR’s in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s was tough.

There is, or was, a website which showed all the variations.

Ya gotta finish the film in the Sensorex - different owners of the same camera and different owners of the same film, both (probably) producing different styles of photos on the same film using the same camera.
I think you're right; there's a symmetry to it. Main reason for my uncertainty is that the film is supposed to provide very fine detail; I kind of think another company's lenses (I'm thinking Pentax) might perform better. But most likely I'll reload it in the Sensorex once I've cleaned it up a bit more.

A lovely CLA'd Leica M3. It really is beautiful - very clean viewfinder, everything intact, smooth advance, beautiful to hold. It does not like my Summarit 50/1.5 LTM, though, in spite of an official, Leica, M3 version of the LTM adapter. The focus is very stiff. I've tried another voigtlander adapter, but the issue persists. The lens was just CLA'd and works fine on my Barnacks and on my CL film camera. Oh well, I may just have to try to find a nice Summilux 50mm v1, or maybe one of those new Nokton 50/1.5 II lenses...

I've pledged on the latest PD kickstarter for two "Micro Clutch" grip/finger strap gizmos for the M10-M/R bodies. Should be here in July. (Also a set of their case/dash/vent/handlebar mounts for my iPhone ... I've been needing a coordinated holder system for the iPhone for a bit as I'm always juggling it around the vehicles.)

Back