What have you just BOUGHT?

So I'm going to start learning how to do Macro photography finally.

Found a SCREAMING deal on a Micro Nikkor AI 55/3.5 & PK-13 1:1 extension tube on Eprey. I put it in the list for Friday payday. Then this morning I got an offer from the seller for 22% off. I offered back say the price was fine if he was willing to wait for me to pay on Friday. An hour later I get the notice from Eprey that I've agreed to buy the lens :D

Stupid cheap: $62 for both in Exquisite condition.

s-l1600.jpg

Dear Board,

I wanted a 120 camera preferably a folder. I took a chance on a Mamiya 6IVB from a seller at the big auction house. Everything seems to work properly, and now I am waiting a film order from B&H to try it out. Time will tell.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

IMG_0258 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr

IMG_0257 by Tim Murphy, on Flickr
It says Zuiko on the tin. It must be good.

Totally offered only for what it's worth, see the following post by yours truly: Mamiya-Six (or is it Mamiya-6?) Type IV Tip

Getting the film loaded and making sure the frame counter gets set correctly is not intuitively obvious with these cameras. Who knows, yours may operate a little differently from mine. But maybe this will be of help.
Dear KoNickon,

Thanks for the reference on film loading. I will have film tomorrow, hopefully, and armed with your guide and the actual manual I managed to get from Butkus.Org I should be all set!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

One bad purchase, another excellent:

Bad -- Minox GT, with leather case. The seller said it was from a house clearout and made no representation about its condition -- fair enough. Shutter jammed -- probably wound but without batteries, I can't tell if it works or not. This takes PX-27s, which are hard to find. There are workarounds but I haven't gotten around to trying them (like taping four 357 batteries together). But things don't seem promising -- screws are rusty, and the conical spring on the inside of the battery compartment is loose, so that may be fatal. The lens has fungus. Oh well; $20 lost.

Excellent -- Honeywell Pentax H1 (circa 1961) with Takumar 55/2.2 and Pentax clip on meter (the first one, with circular dial). Lens had a bad filter ring ding but I managed to straighten it -- 46mm filter size was unexpected. Glass looks OK. Meter works fine -- had to thoroughly clean the contacts. Camera seems fully operational. I guess the guy liked me because he threw in a nice black Spotmatic body. Fully functional except for speeds below 1/15th (B is OK). $65 for all.

I also picked up a mr-9 battery adaptor and battery for my Nikkormat FTn.
Put it in and ...
Nothing. :( Looks like the meter circuit is dead on this one. Everything else works well and I own an hand held meter so no big problem. Pity though. Tuck away into the camera gadgets drawer in case I need it for some other camera.

Edit: OK, had it in backwards. It reacts but no where near accurately :ROFLMAO: Same thing different way :) So it goes.

Last edited:
Excellent -- Honeywell Pentax H1 (circa 1961) with Takumar 55/2.2 and Pentax clip on meter (the first one, with circular dial). Lens had a bad filter ring ding but I managed to straighten it -- 46mm filter size was unexpected. Glass looks OK. Meter works fine -- had to thoroughly clean the contacts. Camera seems fully operational. I guess the guy liked me because he threw in a nice black Spotmatic body. Fully functional except for speeds below 1/15th (B is OK). $65 for all.
I have an H1a, the only Pentax I own. It's got a 55/2 Super-Takumar with it. It tempts me to find a M42 35mm and a 50mm CZJ Tessar for it :) Enjoy!

Having dumped much of my Sigma stuff to buy a Lumix DC-G9 a while ago, I found myself lacking in the wide-angle department for my remaining Sigma SD9.

Accordingly, I have just bought a Sigma SA-mount 10-20mm zoom in good nick - to go with the existing 17-50mm.

The good thing about the 1.7-crop SD9 with it's big pixels and 3.4MP pixel count is that high-quality lenses are a waste of money! For example, diffraction doesn't "set in" until over f/11 ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I also picked up a mr-9 battery adaptor and battery for my Nikkormat FTn.
Put it in and ...
Nothing. :( Looks like the meter circuit is dead on this one. Everything else works well and I own an hand held meter so no big problem. Pity though. Tuck away into the camera gadgets drawer in case I need it for some other camera.

Edit: OK, had it in backwards. It reacts but no where near accurately :ROFLMAO: Same thing different way :) So it goes.
Go take a look at this post made today: "Nikkormat FTN meter"

Thought people might be interested to know that a "new" option for reloadable cassettes exists now: B&H has some under the name Sensei, they are the ones used for Shanghai GP3 35mm film: the weird all-plastic ones that come apart all the way in half. While I had a bear of a time opening up the cassette the first time in the darkroom, I actually think the design is pretty decent. I ordered four of them, and the quality is I think acceptable, for $.79 apiece. The felt strips are glued on a bit haphazardly, but I think the coverage is good. We will see how they perform, once I buy another bulk roll of B&W sometime in the near future.

I bought a Canon PowerShot A530 compact digital camera.

From 2006. 4x zoom, 5 MP.

Why?

Curiosity. Catlike curiosity. I was browsing through a surplus electronics store and found a bin with old compact digital cameras and flashes. The A530 caught my attention because it had a mode dial atop it and I saw an “M”. Manual mode? Does the camera even work? It takes AA batteries! I got two batteries from another bin and …it works. Ok, this is only $5, I’m going to get it.

The A530 Basic and Advanced manuals are available as free downloads; I look at them. This camera is indeed amazing.

In manual mode you can adjust shutter speed by quite a bit, from seconds to 1/2000. Aperture seems to be a choice of only f/2.8 or f/5.6, although you can choose fixed or auto-ISO. As you adjust, the viewfinder brightens or dims accordingly. In Program mode you can adjust by EV increments and assess what you see in the viewfinder as well.

Manual focus! There is manual focus available in M or P modes as well if you want to use it. It displays a distance scale and then a magnified central rectangle showing you your actual focus - it is actually very usable!

From the manual, I see there is an A540 model that offers aperture-priority and shutter-priority in addition to P and M.

Overall, this is a nice camera with a lot of features - I had no idea early-2000 digital compacts offered this much functionality.

IMG_0995.jpegIMG_0996.jpeg

Last edited:
Qty. 2 - 40mm Hakuba UV filters from Amazon Japan

The Canon 100mm f/3.5 LTM lens arrived from Japan.
I am happy to report that I could not detect any haze.
Seller probably added that to description just in case...

Chris

Last edited:
This week I bought a near-mint Tamron f2.5 28mm lens,02B with case, both caps, pk mount and near mint Hoya HMC Skylight 1B filter in one "kit", a metal wide-angle 49mm lens hood that is proper matte black on the inside and 49mm centre-pinch lens cap.

I don't need the mount as I have Nikon stuff, so I'll be sending it back.

Curious about my most recent gear purchases... Leica Q on April 2, then a Nikon Coolpix B500 for the wife a few weeks later on April 27 both 2018. Been too long, eh

Back