Voigtlander NOKTON 35mm F1.2 X

olakiril

Well-known
Local time
11:01 AM
I am so very excited about this lens. Finally the electronic communication will give a much better full manual experience with X-Pro bodies allowing for accurate framing with OVF among other things.

Fuji should take a hint.

PRESS RELEASE and SPECS (translated)

Voigtlander NOKTON 35mm F1.2 X (coming): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama
Voigtlander Nokton 35 mm f / 1.2 with Fujifilm X mount.

We are very pleased to announce the first Voigtlander lens equipped with a Fujifilm X bayonet. The arrival of Voigtlander lenses with the native X mount was long awaited by many fans of this system. The wait is over!

The Nokton 35 mm f / 1.2 is a bright, compact lens optimized for APS-C sensors from Fujifilm mirror cameras. The standard focal length and large relative aperture make the new Nokton a perfect lens for any occasion. High detail of the generated image and soft blurring of out of focus will surely appeal to quality seekers. All this is closed in a small and light, but all-metal tube, with high precision known from other Voigtlander designs.

Main strengths

designed to work with modern APS-C Fujifilm X sensors
electronic circuit ensuring communication between the lens and the camera
extremely solid, all-metal construction
manual focus for even greater precision
manual adjustment of the aperture
12-blade diaphragm for beautiful defocused blur
minimum focusing distance of only 30 cm
NOKTON 35mm f / 1.2

Fujifilm X Mount: Fujifilm X
Focal length: 35 mm
Minimum aperture: f / 1.2
Maximum aperture: f / 16
Construction: 8 elements in 6 groups
Viewing angle: 44o
Aperture Blades: 12
Minimum focus distance: 0.3 m
Dimensions (diameter x length): 59.6 mm x 39.8 mm
Filter diameter: 46 mm
Weight: 196 g
Aperture adjustment: manual in 1/3 EV increments
Electronic system ensuring
EXIF data
Zoom in while sharpening
Support for in-camera image stabilization systems
Sneak Peak

Voigtlander NOKTON 35mm F1.2 X (coming): BHphoto, AmazonUS, Adorama
Voigtländer Nokton 35mm / 1: 1.2 X-Mount

It has been waiting for a long time, now the time has come: Voigtländer presents its first lens with Fuji X-Mount!

The Nokton 35mm F1.2 X was developed exclusively for the Fuji APS-C sensor and optimally matched to it. The focal length corresponds to about 53mm on Fuji APS-C cameras and thus offers an extremely diverse range of possible uses. A high luminous intensity of F1.2 ensures enormous potential for clearing the picture with the possibility of particularly three-dimensional reproduction of details; in addition, an extremely smooth bokeh is mandatory.

A lens hood is included. The market launch is planned for August 2021, the recommended retail price is 649 euros.

https://www.fujirumors.com/voigtlan...elease-and-official-sneak-peek/#disqus_thread

I am so very excited about this lens. Finally the electronic communication will give a much better full manual experience with X-Pro bodies allowing for accurate framing with OVF among other things.

If you mean it will work with field correction of the frame lines, I'll believe it when I see it. I take "electronic communication" to mean it will record the aperture to the EXIF data.

??

??

If you mean it will work with field correction of the frame lines, I'll believe it when I see it. I take "electronic communication" to mean it will record the aperture to the EXIF data.

framelines?

which FX cameras have frame lines?

I never used one with framelines.

Great that Cosina finally wakes up. Love that it's electronically coupled.

However the diagram looks very similar, if not downright identical to the 35/1.4 Nokton II. Not that I have problem with that...just that it likely offers some insight into the lens's performance.

Voigtlander-NOKTON-35mm-f1.2-mirrorless-lens-for-Fujifilm-X-mount-3.jpg

Fuji should take a hint.

Why should Fuji take a hint? They obviously are only interested in making autofocus lenses...

I'm going to hold off for a few reviews, but I'm really interested in this lens. I've been considering getting an M-mount 35mm to adapt to my X-T3 for months now but having a native lens with electronic communication would be great. Hopefully it isn't just a repacked 35mm f1.4. If they were going to repackage any lens, I wish it would have been either of the 35mm f2s that they make.

Why should Fuji take a hint? They obviously are only interested in making autofocus lenses...

The hint would be that there is a market looking for full manual experience and the current MF implementation on the majority of their lenses is useless and against their camera philosophy (IMO). They do have a manual focus clutch mechanism that provides a pretty decent alternative to MF and they could easily start using it for their smaller primes.

I looks like it but only for X-Pro3. Here is some extra info:

Important information regarding data communication:
There are restrictions associated with different camera models.

Transfer of EXIF data possible (note * 1) (note * 2)
Focus magnifier (focus peaking possible
Distance display possible
Image stabilization possible on all models with an image stabilization function
Parallax compensation only possible with X-Pro3 Body
Communication-compatible models and firmware (Note * 3)

Body firmware
X-H1 v1.10 or later
X-T4 v1.00 or later
X-T3 v1.00 or later
X-T2 v4.10 or later
X-Pro3 v1.00 or later
X-S10 v1.00 or later
X-E4 v1.00 or later
X-T30 v1.00 or later

Hints:
(* 1) It is recommended to set the aperture value display setting from TNo to FNo in the camera menu.

(* 2) It is recommended to change the depth of field display in the camera menu to the film standard (the same value as the depth scale engraved on the lens).

(* 3) Please use the latest firmware as the performance may not work or some of the functions may be limited if the firmware is older than the one listed.

To check the firmware of the camera body you are using and to get the latest firmware, please read the manufacturer's manual.

(* 4) When using with a model that does not support data communication, change the body setting [Unlocked without lens] to “ON”.

Great that Cosina finally wakes up. Love that it's electronically coupled.

However the diagram looks very similar, if not downright identical to the 35/1.4 Nokton II. Not that I have problem with that...just that it likely offers some insight into the lens's performance.

It looks like it but it would be strange if they changed the optical formula while keeping the same name. But I guess they could have used the formula from the f/1.2

I foresee this lens to become a popular choice for X-Pro3. I for one have both the X-Pro1 and the m-mount Nokton I but in all likelihood I will get the X-Pro3 just to use it with this lens. I hope these sell well and CV implements the electronic contacts with many more of their lenses.

The hint would be that there is a market looking for full manual experience and the current MF implementation on the majority of their lenses is useless and against their camera philosophy (IMO). They do have a manual focus clutch mechanism that provides a pretty decent alternative to MF and they could easily start using it for their smaller primes.

We will see. I’d say that the market is tiny overall vs. the autofocus lenses they sell. It’s easy for us on RFF to confuse our wants with what the overall market expects.

We will see. I’d say that the market is tiny overall vs. the autofocus lenses they sell. It’s easy for us on RFF to confuse our wants with what the overall market expects.

Most definitely we are biased, but the same argument was used when Fuji first started with the X series cameras. Who would have predicted that X-Pro3 would have a hard-to-use, hidden LCD?

Fuji can do both AF and proper MF. Let's see how successful this new CV lens is.

Well, it is telling that both Voigtlander and Sigma are going to make Fuji X lenses. They must be gaining market share. Maybe that opens up the possibility of more experimentation from Fuji. I know I love my X-Pro3 a lot … even if I prefer AF to MF.

framelines?

which FX cameras have frame lines?

I never used one with framelines.

All of the cameras in Fujifilm's X-Pro series feature optical viewfinders with electronically projected frame lines. All of the X100 series cameras do as well, though this discussion does not apply to them, as they do not take interchangeable lenses.

All of the cameras in Fujifilm's X-Pro series feature optical viewfinders with electronically projected frame lines. All of the X100 series cameras do as well, though this discussion does not apply to them, as they do not take interchangeable lenses.

Thanks, I am testing it on a T4.

Pics up later today.

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-3.jpg

PS Lens out of the box will be slightly smaller than on this screen :)

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-4.jpg

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-1.jpg

the new FX Nokton next to the 35/1.2 V3 M mount lens with close up adapter - big difference in size!

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-6.jpg

F1.2

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-8.jpg

F1.2

voigtlander_fuji_fx_35mm_f1_2_nokton-5.jpg

It certainly is small…

About the size & weight of the Nokton, considering the similarity in the glass. I gather it'll perform even better at mid apertures, since they seemingly have tweaked some elements a bit to optimize it for APS-C, plus that focus shift will be negligible under live view anyway.

Very sexy looking lens. Won't mind owning one at all...whilst I do wonder since this will likely not be their last X lens, what will come next. An indigenous design would be nice, preferably 35mm equivalent...they'd be running out of choices to repurpose in that focal length anyway.

If this is just a repackaged 35mm f1.4 Nokton then that's unfortunate for me. I was hoping they would release a lens on the image quality level of the 35mm f2 ASPH or 35mm APO. I'm probably in the minority here but the 24/26 megapixel sensors are pretty demanding of lenses and I've been drawn to more technically good lenses rather than the character lenses I used to like. Still, I'm really happy Voigtlander is going to start releasing lenses for Fujifilm. I always thought it was odd how deeply committed they were to m43 but had nothing for APS-c sensors.

As someone who uses adapted M-Mount VM glass, this is awesome news. Even better that the lens will work with the parallax corrected framelines on the XPro3. Might finally be time to sell the Fuji XF 35/2.

Back