Voigtlander BESSA II Help/Question

ravenxarmy

Established
Local time
10:14 PM
Hello,
I have been using the pre-war BESSA I for some years and it's been giving me an extremely hard time with focusing not to mention the camera I had was all over the place with shutter speeds. This week I finally gave up on it and upgraded to BESSA II Heliar with coupled rangefinder. It arrived yesterday and it feels like moving from a bicycle to a Harley.
The camera I bought is quite interesting, I haven't been able to find ANY information on it whatsoever so I thought I'd try here.

It looks identical to the model I found the instructions for here:
https://www.cameramanuals.org/voigtlander_pdf/voigtlander_bessa-model_2.pdf

However, it comes with an engraving J A Riggler or maybe J A Riggles??

Has anybody ever seen another example of it? Was it personalised by the previous owner perhaps? Or was it stock Voigtlander model? The engraving looks stock, exactly the same as the Voigtlander and BESSA logos above and below it.

Another interesting bit is that on the inside it is written in something that looks like a pencil:

"Gift from Voigtlander Co on 50th anniversary 1948 - (something that looks like a name? Nillergebby(??) NYC???)"
Please see pictures.

Does anybody know what this thing is? I'd appreciate any info.

Also while on the subject I was wondering if there's any way to attach a dioptric lens to this camera? I have temporarily taped a NIKON one over the rangefinder but it's a short term solution. I looked on the internet but haven't found anything really.

144379592_2575244196102337_8750315886834270173_n.jpg

144956138_2575244189435671_5942998607070201498_n.jpg

144033363_2575244169435673_3368815275254391584_n.jpg

144247445_2575244182769005_7675268158006831091_n.jpg

144076057_2575244192769004_5269465621397801400_n.jpg

The pictures you've attached aren't viewable on my monitor, using Firefox browser. Without pictures it's difficult to research your question.

The Bessa II is a fine camera. I haven't heard of any diopters for the VF.

Regards,

The pictures you've attached aren't viewable on my monitor, using Firefox browser. Without pictures it's difficult to research your question.

Regards,

It's fine using Chrome though...
It seems to me a regular Heliar lens model, but just with personalized engravings (at the factory level though). So, probably there is a history behind it, but doubt it's something you can find on the internet...

Regards,

I checked on both Chrome and Firefox and the images appear fine. Maybe your ad blocker doesn't like the image link?
Try this:

i26289.jpg

Thanks for the images. To my eye, the font on the T A Riggles engraving looks dissimilar to the factory engraving. That would make sense, being a gift.

Lovely camera. I have the Color-Skopar, and it's no slouch; the Heliar was beyond my budget. I wish the camera had a cold shoe for an accessory VF.

Thanks for the images. To my eye, the font on the T A Riggles engraving looks dissimilar to the factory engraving. That would make sense, being a gift.

Lovely camera. I have the Color-Skopar, and it's no slouch; the Heliar was beyond my budget. I wish the camera had a cold shoe for an accessory VF.

I believe the APO-LANTHAR Bessas came with cold shoe but these (for reasons unknown) are more expensive than most expensive Leicas.
Was that Lanthar lens really more than 10 times better which the prices suggest?

My biggest issue with this camera right now is the dioptric adjustment. I really need it to be -3 ...

Slightly off topic...

Why is Apo-Lanthar so much better than the Colour-Heliar?
What exactly is the difference between the 3 different BESSA II lenses?
I once saw the original sales brochure that featured the info on the Colour-Skopar and Colour-Heliar. I can't remember the exact prices but the Heliar was about 30% more expensive than the Skopar.
There was no mention of the Lanthar. I wonder what was the original price difference between the 3 models.

I run a quick search but haven't found any comparisons. Just general information:

BESSA II
This is the most renowned of the cameras with the "Bessa" name. Self folding camera with a coupled rangefinder. 34,500 Bessa II's made from 1950 to 1956. The Bessas II were fitted with a Color-Skopar 3.5/10.5 cm, or a Color-Heliar 3.5/10.5 cm or from 1954, the rare and sought-after Apo-Lanthar 4.5/10.5 cm. The Compur-Rapid shutter fitted on the earlier models was replaced by the Synchro-Compur shutter from 1951. The accessory shoe appears only from 1954.

There's this pdf I found:
https://www.arnecroell.com/voigtlaender.pdf

But I can't really wrap my head around all the technical bits...

I used to have a Bessa II with the Color-Skopar lens and mine had a cold shoe attached to it. The cold shoe looked to me like an accessory that was permanently attached to the camera. (I wish I still had it, but the squinty viewfinder was impossible with glasses.)

Voigtlander's Skopar lens was a 4-element/3-group Tessar type.

The Heliar was a 5-element lens that I think was Voigtlander's answer to the Zeiss Planar (different formulation from the Planar).

The Apo-Lanthar was an exotic lens that was supposed to be exceptional in its performance, but I don't know anything specific about it.

- Murray

I have two Bessa II's, one Color-Skopar (without accessory shoe) and one Color-Heliar (with accessory shoe). They are beautifully made and beautifully designed cameras. There was an informative article about these cameras and their lenses in Italian that is no longer available on the web, but I found it in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20150204045919/http://www.scattineltempo.it/Bessa due.htm

(You'll need to translate it from Italian if you can't speak that language).

Here's a snippet describing the Apo-Lanthar:

The APO-LANTHAR, the latest creation for the medium format, has the same design of the five lenses as the Heliar, but has adopted other glasses and new calculations. The brightness is lower by a value (4.5), but it is also the brightest "apochromatic" existing for the medium format at normal angle, with a few degrees more than the other two lenses.

The outline in front of the lens, which also acts as a hood on the lens (smaller and placed more inward compared to the previous two other lenses), shows three circular signs with the primary colors to indicate the perfect correction of focus of the entire chromatic range on the same plane, therefore more sharpness for colored subjects, without lacking a plastic imprint.

The colors are brilliant due to the high degree of contrast, even crossing the thickness of the air to distant subjects.

Absolutely absent are astigmatism and field curvature: these last two corrections, which extend to the extreme angles while using full aperture, defining the "universal" objective.

It is a masterpiece that no other manufacturer has produced to date. The classic Linhof used it as an essential element for professional needs, although its later adopted Apo-Lanthars (from 105mm to 300mm focal length) were slightly softer compared to the previous ones (105mm) of the BESSAs, with greater definition. .

I have two Bessa II's, one Color-Skopar (without accessory shoe) and one Color-Heliar (with accessory shoe). They are beautifully made and beautifully designed cameras. There was an informative article about these cameras and their lenses in Italian that is no longer available on the web, but I found it in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20150204045919/http://www.scattineltempo.it/Bessa due.htm

(You'll need to translate it from Italian if you can't speak that language).

Here's a snippet describing the Apo-Lanthar:

Thanks a lot. That cleared it up :)

Back