Visiting Munich and Vienna

Brooktaw

Established
Local time
8:00 AM
I'm heading to Europe later this week for a short visit to Munich and Vienna.

My main purpose is to see the Bruegel paintings in both cities but I am taking a couple of cameras with me and hope to get some photographs and see some photography.

I may also see about selling my Leica M3 and 50mm Summicron

Any recommendations?

Cafés, bookshops, bars with music, camera shops etc. I already have a visit to Joe Geier at Mint and Rare in Vienna planned.

Chris

Hugendubel on Marienplatz is a great bookshop. Nice cafés in the Schwabing district, not far from the central city, though there are many good cafés in the centre too. Used to enjoy Stadtcafe at the Stadtmuseum (city museum). There look to be a couple of Leicashops in Munich but I have not visited them.

If you are into Cafes Vienna is the place to go. Munich is famous for its „Biergärten“ where you can eat and drink beer under old trees in good company.

In Vienna there are a lot of camera stores, in Munich is at least one Leica shop but it is quite small in comparison to Leica camera classics in Vienna.

Might be worth dropping in to see Peter Coeln in Vienna

And in Munich the Deutsches Museum is the world's largest technology museum. Their Photography and Film exhibition looks pretty good, 1200 exhibits... including a chrome M5 :)

Might be worth dropping in to see Peter Coeln in Vienna

Now I'm getting wanderlust...

Thanks very much for all the recommendations.

My first visit to Munich was as an eleven year old in 1966 and I've been sorting through my late father's collection of Kodachrome slides for images of that trip.

Munich19662.jpgMunich19661.jpg

Kafka Cafe in Vienna, the many Hapsburg palaces, Mayerling outside of Vienna, Vienna Cathedral, various locations associated with Mozart

Back