Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

Beautiful, Vince! This somehow has a very 19th century feel to it, like something from one of the surveys. It's the timeless landscape combined with the rendering from your antique equipment. They're a perfect match here!

Many thanks -- I did consider shooting glass plates exclusively on this trip, but I decided against it as I think it's really more of a 'sidebar' to Mapping the West. Who knows, maybe it might become its own thing.

In Claunch by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

In Claunch2
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Fantastic work, Vince, truly great. All of it.

Erik.

Many thanks for the encouraging words Erik- I do appreciate it.

One thing I think I need to do is to put New Mexico aside for a little while and look to other areas of the West that I’ve only passed through or photographed in a limited capacity. I have a potential opportunity with a potato farmer in Idaho so that might be my next adventure. I also think I should try to branch out and look at other communities - looking at my shots from this latest month-long excursion, I seem to have focused much of my attention on men in a certain age range. I think I should look to include more women (actually the Idaho potato farmer is a woman) and members of other groups, but I may need introductions into some of those communities. The other thing I was wondering about is if I should turn some of my attention to the border situation - that is definitely part of the story of the American West, but it may be a bit risky. Something for me to consider.

Back