Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

You're really rockin' it on this trip, Vince! I'm officially designating you an honorary Nuevo Mexicano, though some may think it a dubious distinction...

You're really rockin' it on this trip, Vince! I'm officially designating you an honorary Nuevo Mexicano, though some may think it a dubious distinction...

I'd be more than happy to be the recipient of that honour! I do appreciate it.

Hard to believe that my time here will be over in 12 days -- I'm trying to fit in as much as I can, while leaving plenty of time to work on the images and print them. So far I have 24 - 11"x16" prints and 5 - 6"x9" prints on my work space walls, hoping to fill up the rest of the wall space before I leave.

If you feel like making the trek to Carrizozo, there is going to be a gallery 'reception' and 'open studio' next Wednesday the 26th starting at 4pm. There is another artist here as well (she's a fiber artist) who has the work space next door.

Great set Vince. Love all the Gallacher images. 12 has gorgeous light and tones. 13 would be a great shot without the cracked windshield but that really makes it special. Was looking at that print yesterday. Great light on Gray4 also

Great set Vince. Love all the Gallacher images. 12 has gorgeous light and tones. 13 would be a great shot without the cracked windshield but that really makes it special. Was looking at that print yesterday. Great light on Gray4 also

Thanks for making the trip to Carrizozo yesterday -- I sure do appreciate it!

This is my last week here in New Mexico, so I'm hoping to make the most of it. Not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but I don't believe I wandered nearly as much on this trip as I have in previous, shorter trips. It's likely due to the fact that I've also been working on the images and printing them while I've been here, which isn't something I've done previously. It's been fine though, as I've had a number of new opportunities come my way while here (including an offer to temporarily manage a ranch!). All in all, it's been a worthwhile endeavour.

Gray7 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

BTW a reminder that this Wednesday the 26th Gallery 408 (408 Twelfth Street, Carrizozo) is going to be having a reception for my exhibit, Mapping the West (excerpts), beginning at 4pm. There will also be an 'open studio' for both myself and the other artist who is here this month. I already have a bunch of prints tacked to the walls of my work space, so you'll be able to see the prints of what I've been currently showing here. I've already sold one framed print from the gallery exhibit!

Looks like you spent a little time in Magdalena! It's a sweet little town. Last time I was there (pre-Covid), I visited a little coffee shop/custom print shop. Wound up chatting with the owner, who had quite the collection of old film cameras, and was an avid photographer. Hope his place is still there; so many small businesses that were functioning on a wing and a prayer have folded because of The Pestilence.

Looks like you spent a little time in Magdalena! It's a sweet little town. Last time I was there (pre-Covid), I visited a little coffee shop/custom print shop. Wound up chatting with the owner, who had quite the collection of old film cameras, and was an avid photographer. Hope his place is still there; so many small businesses that were functioning on a wing and a prayer have folded because of The Pestilence.

That I did indeed - yes interesting little place. I tried to head down to Kelly, but the road was just a bit too rocky for my car, so I’ll save that joy for another time.

I’m heading home Sunday, and believe it or not I’m ready to leave. Although I don’t think I traveled throughout the state as much as I have in the past, it’s been definitely a worthwhile and productive time. There’s been an offer to manage a ranch (which I may actually do) and I’ve been party to a few new opportunities, so overall it’s been good. Really my only goal for the rest of this week is to finish off a roll of 127 film in my Ermanox and print a few, if any of them are any good. I did develop a few glass plates from my Jeanneret Monobloc 6x13 today and I should have a couple of them scanned and printed tomorrow.

The gallery reception and ‘open studio’ is slated for 5pm on Wednesday and I’ve already sold two pieces from the gallery. I’m incredibly thankful for this Artist in Residence program and will be interested to see what Wednesday brings.

Vince, it just occurred to me that you might enjoy a visit to the Very Large Array while you're in that area. The strangeness of dozens of huge radio dish antennas rising up across miles of the San Augustin plains, in the middle of nowhere, might appeal to you, and your love of the incongruous. You can wander the area at will, and no one seems to care. All very New Mexico.
Best of luck with the show, and congratulations on the sales!

I’ve been meaning to get there at some point, but it’s not going to be this time around. Actually I’m thinking that I should go someplace else - a friend of mine has a sister who is a potato farmer in Idaho, and I may take her up on her offer to introduce us. I think I should put New Mexico aside for a time and check out other areas of the West. The other alternative is that I spend more time in Dell City, TX, which is a definite possibility.

"To reduce the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus by both our staff and our visitors, the Very Large Array is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC until further notice. NO SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE."

"To reduce the risk of exposure to the COVID-19 virus by both our staff and our visitors, the Very Large Array is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC until further notice. NO SERVICES ARE AVAILABLE."

Will have to save it for another time - I’m actually not sure when I’ll be back. Maybe to manage a ranch?

I’ve been meaning to get there at some point, but it’s not going to be this time around. Actually I’m thinking that I should go someplace else - a friend of mine has a sister who is a potato farmer in Idaho, and I may take her up on her offer to introduce us. I think I should put New Mexico aside for a time and check out other areas of the West. The other alternative is that I spend more time in Dell City, TX, which is a definite possibility.

But Vince, you're an honorary New Mexican now! If you go to Texas, no telling what could happen. I'm sure you're aware that there's no love lost between TX and NM....
For a while, i worked in a retail store in the ABQ airport, where we sold all sorts of tourist trinkets, including T-shirts and hats with the Zia symbol on them, as on our state flag. I can't tell you how many Texans felt compelled to tell me that the point of having that Zia on your chest or head was so Texans would know where to aim. Har, har, har.
And I doubt you'd have much better luck with a Canadian maple leaf. Damned furriners!

But Vince, you're an honorary New Mexican now! If you go to Texas, no telling what could happen. I'm sure you're aware that there's no love lost between TX and NM....
For a while, i worked in a retail store in the ABQ airport, where we sold all sorts of tourist trinkets, including T-shirts and hats with the Zia symbol on them, as on our state flag. I can't tell you how many Texans felt compelled to tell me that the point of having that Zia on your chest or head was so Texans would know where to aim. Har, har, har.
And I doubt you'd have much better luck with a Canadian maple leaf. Damned furriners!

I don't really mind Texas (at least the places I've been), but of course my heart will always be for New Mexico.

I think Idaho potato farming might be next, then managing the ranch near Carrizozo.

You know what happens when you cross a Texan with a hog?

Nothing. There are just some things you can't get a hog to do.

Back