To IBIS or not to IBIS?

The primary reason (for me) of having access to extra pixels is for cropping. It's not about making wall-size prints. When cropping isn't required to get the image I'm looking for, even 16mp is more than enough...

It's not the smaller pixels or higher number of pixels that results in more blur. It's enlarging the image more than you would using a same-size sensor with fewer pixels.

The answer to the original question, as to whether higher resolution sensors 'magnify movement' is 'yes' as outlined above. If one wants to make a bigger image that utilizes those extra pixels (which includes using cropping) then one must be more careful with camera shake, however that might be done: better hand-holding technique, higher shutter speeds, tripod, IBIS, bean bag, whatever. The degree of required shake reduction will depend on the increase in pixel count.

I appreciate the IBIS and high resolution sensor on the SL2. The perspective control feature is a viable alternative to a shift lens as long as the correction is modest. Pointing a lens up to enclose the foreground and top of the building to correct for converging lines in post I lose around 30% of the frame. With the lens stopped down and iso in reasonable range the IBIS is essential. I use the M10M only for street and it’s at 1/2000s all the time so no need for IBIS, for me.

Leaves me wondering what would be more of an anathema to the hard-core M user: a global shutter, IBIS, or both :eek:
So far, all-electronic shutters have some difficulties so I doubt that Leica will go there any time soon.

And I have nothing against IBIS, if a camera has it, it can be useful. But again I think it quite doubtful that Leica will find a way to cram it into the already crammed M camera enclosure without changing the M's shape by a bit, and I also think it will cost a hefty premium over an non-IBIS body.

But, like with all my cameras, when I'm looking to buy, I evaluate what's out there and see what suits me best. I hardly feel myself a "hard-core M purist". There are simply things that I want, the constraints of what I need, and the constraints of what I can afford.. I try to pick the best compromise of what I need vs what I want at the price I am willing to afford.

G

The M11 has a dual rolling electronic/manual shutter with the option to select either or a combination of the two.
Yes, most modern cameras have both. I think the Nikon Z9 and Pixii are two of the only higher end cameras (i.e not phones or crappy P&S cameras) I can think of that got rid of the mechanical shutter.

The M11 has a dual rolling electronic/manual shutter with the option to select either or a combination of the two.
At least five of my cameras (including the Leica CL and, I believe, SL) have/have had this capability. I have occasionally utilized the e-shutter alone but there are some interesting limitations of use it imposes. The best situation is when such capability includes the notion of "shutter extension" where the mechanical shutter is supplemented by the electronic shutter for an extended range of shorter shutter times.

By and large, it has been rare that I've needed it. Mechanical shutters are very highly developed, reliable, and consistent mechanisms; and I only very rarely need a range of exposure times that goes shorter than 1/1000 of a second.

G

Yes, most modern cameras have both. I think the Nikon Z9 and Pixii are two of the only higher end cameras (i.e not phones or crappy P&S cameras) I can think of that got rid of the mechanical shutter.
There are a few smaller high end cameras without mechanical shutter.
The Sigma FP and FP-L, the Sony A7-C.

In many situations using a hand-held camera is the only practical option. In these situations body and, or lens stabilization can significantly increase raw data information capacity because longer shutter times are possible while maintaining overall MTF 50. Longer shutter times increase exposure which results in a higher signal-to-noise ratio.

However, IBIS adds weight, reduces battery life and only succeds in still photography when subjects are not in motion. Weight disadvantages and complexity are limited with in-lens stabilization since the body is unaffected when non-stabilized lenses are sufficient. For this reasons I prefer lens stabilization. If I enjoyed using adapted lenses, IBIS could be useful.

As GMOG mentioned above, increased pixel density in high-resolution sensors can be relevant. At the same time, the nature of the subjects, atmospheric conditions and other factors might degrade the effective MTF50 before light reaches the sensor. In this case stabilization won't help until the loss of MTF50 due to camera motion becomes greater than the native MTF50 degradation.
Well, yeah. All IBIS is trying to do is imitate a tripod for stability. It cannot control subjects. Other than short exposure I know of no way to slow down or stop in motion subjects.

I have occasionally utilized the e-shutter alone but there are some interesting limitations of use it imposes.
I usually only swap to electronic shutter on my X-Pro 2 where I want silent operation for one reason or another. I don't like leaving it on as the lack of audible and tactile feedback weirds me out.

It threw me for a loop when I tried using my flash the other day and the damn thing just wouldn't fire. I thought the PC cable was worn, or there was something wrong with the flash... nope, just forgot I left the X-Pro on electronic shutter mode when I last used it, and it won't trip a flash at all in that setting. Derp.

I don't like leaving it on as the lack of audible and tactile feedback weirds me out.
Yes, this completely. Some leaf shutters even are not enough (Fuji X100 series). I hope, if global shutters come, there's a way to add a little noise and a little vibration. Haha, when most people are trying to get away from this...

Back