The I DON'T LIKE POLAROID PRINTS appreciation thread

Smart, to open a thread for rejection of Polaroid prints, but afterwards one only reads fan mail here.
For several years I took Polaroids in order to quickly fill a customer file with photos needed for my job.
Priorities were speed, immediate labeling and sorting.
The few times I took landscape shots on weekends produced modest to disappointing results compared to the 35mm photography I used to do.
Instant pictures presented by Leica at Photokina Cologne 2016 reminded me more of collections of postage stamps, soccer cards or beer coasters.
So far I've only seen "Leica Sofort" cameras with its low light lens "Automatik-Hektor" F 12.7-60mm (!) used as a successful party gag - enjoy.
Click image for larger version  Name:	160922_L1046082_M8.2_1.4-35_Photokina_Koeln_Leica-Sofort_m8raw2dng_LRPSCC_fb_psd_42.9MB_frame440p_1280p_jpg_476KB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	346.5 KB ID:	4773035

One of the saddest times in the history of film is when Fuji discontinued FP100C :(

All shot on the Polaroid 250

24132457941_f67cb1fe10_o.jpg

​​​​​​​
22205058735_c04c442275_o.jpg

​​​​​​​
31630574543_f5b1eaecec_o.jpg

​​​​​​​
32515578546_ea0f1cfc8a_o.jpg

37477308020_cb2054c8cf_o.jpg

When it became known to me that the production of the Fuji FP 100 would be discontinued, I bought the last 12 packs from the dealer I trusted.
But I only had the Poalroid magazine for the Hasselblad.
So I bought a Polaroid 600 SE so that I could use the full format of the film.
I'm glad I did it :)

One of the saddest times in the history of film is when Fuji discontinued FP100C :(

Yes. Your photos show just how wonderful this film was. Their FP-3000B had remarkable tonality as well.

I wonder if Fuji would’ve scrapped their facilities and equipment if they knew what people were willing to pay for it. Probably not, since the passport-photo business is what kept that film alive until digital photos replaced it. I’ve been told that Fuji’s culture wouldn’t allow them to sell the technology and equipment to others like Impossible.

So I bought a Polaroid 600 SE so that I could use the full format of the film.
I'm glad I did it :)
Also, with the 600 SE you can use other film backs. Given its traditional controls, the 600 SE is probably the best camera Polaroid ever had (derived from Mamiya).

A success!

It’s really not that cumbersome a process, relatively speaking. Think of it the process as part of the charm.

Well actually it is a bit of a cumbersome process in this particular case, but maybe as I do it more it might become less so.

The one thing I do wish is that both the piece of Instax Mini film and the glass plate holder darkslide could both fit into the holder at the same time so that I could load up multiple holders and process them all later in one go, but it’s not possible (the Instax Mini film fits perfectly into a glass plate holder, but it’s too thick to accommodate both it and the darkslide). So I have to load a single holder with the film onto the back of the camera in a changing bag every time, and then remove it and load the film back into the cartridge and the Instax dark slide also in the changing bag. So yeah a bit cumbersome, at least at the moment.

Talk about sticking with something, and then making something stick! And nice image :)

Cheers,
David

Many thanks David and everyone - it definitely took a bit of figuring out (plus watching a few YouTube videos) but I finally got it. It did require the purchase of an Instax camera, but that will get used one way or another on its own. I just wish it was a bit less of a chore just to make one image, but at least I now know that I can do it.

And I did tell my wife that if she does end up sending any of my photos to Sotheby’s after I die, she should send this one :)

Well actually it is a bit of a cumbersome process in this particular case, but maybe as I do it more it might become less so.
I suppose I was thinking of pre-1900 photographers who had to hand coat their plates within about 15 minutes prior to exposure. :)

Back