the Beauty of LIGHT :Photos

Trooper

Sony A7II, Zeiss Triotar 4/85.

Attachments

• 2023-02-15 Trooper A7II Triotar 85-4 DSC01406.jpg
    2023-02-15 Trooper A7II Triotar 85-4 DSC01406.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 5
We are a seafaring community here in Astoria (Oregon) and the Columbia River sees a lot of traffic. A lot of what leaves is agricultural product, corn, wheat, soybeans and similar. There is also timber. Kelso upriver is where the ag stuff gets loaded and Longview is where the timber gets loaded. Coming in is loads of finished goods. Asian consumer products like electronics and in this case autos. Kind of like a Third World country. I'd like to see more finished goods leaving for overseas sale but no one comes to me to make trade deals.

Today I caught a "Ro-Ro" coming upriver. For those unaccustomed to this term it is for a ship where cars roll on and roll off, car carriers. This one is the Glovis Star, a mighty ship. You will see in the foreground a black boat which carries the Columbia River pilot who will take this ship upriver to its port(s) and back down to this point in Astoria. On the left at the stern of the Glovis Star is the Columbia River Bar pilot boat. This, as is the other, custom built. The yellow bar pilot boat cost $3,000,000 and is owned by the pilots. The river pilots' boat need not be as sturdy, it does not cross the bar, so it may have cost less. They are not cheap; they cannot fail.

B0000862rff.JPG

And a little later the river pilot is aboard and the river pilot boat is returning to its river slip while the bar pilot boat approaches to retrieve its pilot. If you want to be insured you will always have a pilot. So the new one comes on board before the old one leaves. What happens on the water is time tested. Maritime law is ancient and precedential. If you want a handle on how things work out on the water, here is the authoritative book: Chapman Piloting - Wikipedia

B0000869rff.JPG

Yes, these two are out of the HB X2D with the XCD 55V lens.

Last edited:
Camping for Rose Parade,

Dec 31, 2,200 Blocks on Colorado Bl,

Pasadena, Los Angeles County

a Taipei-metro Img

Canon EOS T4i, Canon 18-55
Canon Std pic Sty, file reduced fitting -
R f F

Ho Chi Minh City Museum of History - Champa sculptures. Leica SL2S - TTArtisan 1.5/21. I'm using this affordable, fast ultra-wide lens for the first time and I like the results.

Last edited:
U82868.1678349489.0.jpg

does this picture fit the theme?
film - KN1 from 1971
Zorki 3m, Jupiter 3 (50mm f1,5)

Back