SL or SL2?

Leica gave me an M240 as a loaner for 8 months. This camera is rock solid and functions well. However, it feels like brick. It is too thick.

Unless the camera definitively fills a niche or pro $$ factor..or just for your innate happiness..
Why bother..whipping out the card..
As most of us have more than enough cams already..to make art..

I sure do..have enough cams that is..

If I had that superwide Hassie..I probably would make it my main cam for personal projects..as well as the M9..

And leave most all the the other digital stuff for a working/$$ context..
But if you get the SL..why not just go whole hog..and get the most recent..

Get it and that 35mmm apo..if you need weather proofing..
Which I would imagine living in FL..would be a plus..
And start lifting weights..lol..

I am content with my lenses and cameras. Maybe I am OK with what I already own and use. I love using the SWC, by the way. My Hologon in M mount is also very special.

Leica gave me an M240 as a loaner for 8 months. This camera is rock solid and functions well. However, it feels like brick. It is too thick.

If the M240 feels like a brick, how would you be with a SL? Would the grip make it more comfortable?

When I handled the SL a long time ago, it felt really heavy, and the edges were sharp, unlike the nice smooth roundness of the M9. A couple of weekends ago, I played with the SL2 with APO Summicron 35 at the Leica store, and it felt better than the SL2, although still largeish and solid. The indentation in the SL2's grip does make a difference to how it feels.

I feel like a SL would be an upgrade from the M9, and the SL2 is a definite upgrade in terms of tech and performance, but what about overall shooting? What about weight and carry? Is there are reason why you are choosing between a SL with 50 Summicron L or SL2 with M adapter? Why not just get a SL with M adapter and use your existing M lenses?

Secondhand SLs can be had for a reasonable money, and you get to discover if it is right for you. If you buy from a dealer with a return policy, you could try it for a few days and figure out if the jump to SL would be worth it, or if the SL makes you happy as it is.

You are right about the logical choice of the SL and not the costly SL2. It is also true that the larger sized SL may not be what I will enjoy using. The M10 makes more sense.

I view the SL as a DSLR and not an improved M9.
Could be a complementary camera to the M9.

Raid,
I would get the SL2 and use with M-glass or Panasonic L-mount glass. The Leica glass is way too heavy and expensive for my tastes. The Panasonic L-mount looks great but I haven't used it myself.
I just got a Sigma fp and am using it with the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and adapted Sigma SA lenses. I am very happy with the images and appreciate the small size of the Sigma fp.
But either way, SL or SL2, you can't go wrong.
Eric

OT...
I just got a Sigma fp and am using it with the Sigma 45mm f2.8 and adapted Sigma SA lenses. I am very happy with the images and appreciate the small size of the Sigma fp.
This is the one to get imo..
I'm still thinking about it..
If it only had a place to put a finder on top..I would have already gotten it..
How is it with M WA glass?

I hope you are going to make it, Raid. Something like 33 days left to hold this year GAS.

Thoughts and prayers for Raid’s GAS.

Has anyone on this site posted this many ‘what should I buy’ threads?

The honest answer is it wouldn’t make any difference.
Think about it...

For some reason, I can't get manual M mount lenses to work on the Sigma fp. I know others have no issues so I suspect there is a setting I am missing. Ofter mirrorless cameras have a setting that says something like "shoot without lens" but I don't see that in the Sigma fp menu. I am using an LM to LT adapter.
I was put off by the lack of viewfinder at first. But I noticed that I am getting perspectives without a viewfinder that I would miss with one.
The IQ out of the Sigma fp is terrific. You will be pleased.

Plenty of people using M lenses on the Fp around the internet...I'd ask elsewhere how to do it.

You can also have something from the EOS R, Nikon Z or Sony A7 family (and Nikon and all but the oldest Sony cameras do have IBIS) and have it modified by Kolari Vision, after that the cameras will play well with Leica M glass and even with that they still cost a lot less than an SL2.

For some reason, I can't get manual M mount lenses to work on the Sigma fp. I know others have no issues so I suspect there is a setting I am missing. Ofter mirrorless cameras have a setting that says something like "shoot without lens" but I don't see that in the Sigma fp menu. I am using an LM to LT adapter.
I was put off by the lack of viewfinder at first. But I noticed that I am getting perspectives without a viewfinder that I would miss with one.
The IQ out of the Sigma fp is terrific. You will be pleased.

I don’t have the FP but make sure you are in MF mode. Also try changing to release priority. The camera should work fine with adapted lenses, Sigma’s video of it shows it with a Summicron on it. FP look great with all the AR options it has. Upcoming Foveon L mount should be a great camera.

Shawn

Back