Sensor Cleaning

At some point after I started this thread, I mailed my camera to Alex at Popflash.Photo (where I bought the camera), who did a fine job cleaning the sensor for me. A few months ago I sent my M10-P to Steve's Camera Repair for a follow-up (well over a year) professional sensor cleaning; Alex had indicated he thought Steve could do a better job. Well, he was wrong as the sensor still had a significant amount of dust - now I'm thinking "here we go again"! Ultimately, it went back to Alex, who once again cleaned the sensor to my satisfaction.

I've discovered a few things over these last nearly two years (in no particular order):
1. Sensor dust is an unfortunate reality - especially for us mirrorless users;
2. I can clean the sensor myself, but Alex does a better job;
3. The rocket blower doesn't work - only swab cleanings actually remove dust;
4. Keep lens changes in the field to a minimum;
5. My sensor can go about a year between "professional" cleanings;
6. I only use VSwabs and VDust Plus cleaner (expensive, but works the best);
7. Try to shoot stopped down at f/5.6 or below (this minimizes the impact of sensor dust).

At some point after I started this thread, I mailed my camera to Alex at Popflash.Photo (where I bought the camera), who did a fine job cleaning the sensor for me. A few months ago I sent my M10-P to Steve's Camera Repair for a follow-up (well over a year) professional sensor cleaning; Alex had indicated he thought Steve could do a better job. Well, he was wrong as the sensor still had a significant amount of dust - now I'm thinking "here we go again"! Ultimately, it went back to Alex, who once again cleaned the sensor to my satisfaction.

I've discovered a few things over these last nearly two years (in no particular order):
1. Sensor dust is an unfortunate reality - especially for us mirrorless users;
2. I can clean the sensor myself, but Alex does a better job;
3. The rocket blower doesn't work - only swab cleanings actually remove dust;
4. Keep lens changes in the field to a minimum;
5. My sensor can go about a year between "professional" cleanings;
6. I only use VSwabs and VDust Plus cleaner (expensive, but works the best);
7. Try to shoot stopped down at f/5.6 or below (this minimizes the impact of sensor dust).

I have not had your problems. I had dust specks on my Leicas and on the Sony, I call them "soccer balls" as they seem huge in the photo. I cleaned all the sensors with the Eyelead which worked perfectly on the Leicas and the Sony. No problem. Perfectly.

I change lenses rarely, hold the the camera sensor down when I do and often use the Rocket blower. Prevention is the better part of dealing with the dust.

Back