RETO Ultra Wide & Slim

dourbalistar

Buy more film
Local time
8:05 AM
Last year, RETO revived the Ultra Wide & Slim, another clone in the long line of ultra wide & slim plastic cameras. It's practically identical to the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, which as I found out is itself a clone. However, you can buy the RETO version brand new for $29.99 and it comes in a variety of colors. So there is that, I suppose. I have the Pastel Pink color, because this is a toy camera after all. I just finished processing a roll and yes, there's vignetting, soft corners, and all the rest. But the results are surprisingly good for a 22mm plastic lens with a fixed f/11 aperture and fixed 1/125 shutter speed. :cool: More photos to come, stay tuned. Is anyone else using this newest incarnation?

RETO Ultra Wide & Slim, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 for 6.5 minutes.

2022.07.12 Roll #312-07534-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

I also find the look of the Reto- pics quite interesting. I glued a filter adaptor around the lens, so I can use the little cam with a ISO 400 film from shadow to bright sunshine. Soooo light and easy in the bag...!

Attachments

• DSCF8673-2.jpg
    DSCF8673-2.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF8674.jpg
    DSCF8674.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 58
Last year, RETO revived the Ultra Wide & Slim, another clone in the long line of ultra wide & slim plastic cameras. It's practically identical to the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, which as I found out is itself a clone. However, you can buy the RETO version brand new for $29.99 and it comes in a variety of colors. So there is that, I suppose. I have the Pastel Pink color, because this is a toy camera after all. I just finished processing a roll and yes, there's vignetting, soft corners, and all the rest. But the results are surprisingly good for a 22mm plastic lens with a fixed f/11 aperture and fixed 1/125 shutter speed. :cool: More photos to come, stay tuned. Is anyone else using this newest incarnation?

RETO Ultra Wide & Slim, Arista Premium 400, expired 2014, developed in LegacyPro L110 for 6.5 minutes.

2022.07.12 Roll #312-07534-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr
Not bad at all for a 30 dollar plastic camera.. But of course, in your (fine!) image, composition and subject matter probably draw attention away from the camera's deficiencies..

I also find the look of the Reto- pics quite interesting. I glued a filter adaptor around the lens, so I can use the little cam with a ISO 400 film from shadow to bright sunshine. Soooo light and easy in the bag...!
Brilliant, @Harry the K! I'd seen similar modifications, but the others seemed to obstruct the viewfinder. What size filter adapter did you use? I used 400 speed B&W film in my test roll, and some frames came out overexposed. Bright sun up in the mountains was probably not the best conditions for Arista Premium 400 (aka Kodak Tri-X?) and yellow or red filter would definitely have helped.

Great stuff, @neal3k! I have a few color rolls that I need to send off to the lab, including at least one roll of Kodak Ultramax 400.

Not bad at all for a 30 dollar plastic camera.. But of course, in your (fine!) image, composition and subject matter probably draw attention away from the camera's deficiencies..
Thank you, @pvdhaar, much appreciated! Of course, I cherry picked one of the better photos from the roll. Some came out overexposed, some slightly underexposed, some tilted horizons. All part of the fun I guess!

Hmm, the results are almost too good to make it worthwhile. If I were to use a toy camera, I'd want bad results. Holga bad. But if this thing comes in Pastel Pink, I could be tempted!
Haha, if Pastel Pink isn't tempting enough, at some point RETO added Teal and Olive colors.

Brilliant, @Harry the K! I'd seen similar modifications, but the others seemed to obstruct the viewfinder. What size filter adapter did you use? I used 400 speed B&W film in my test roll, and some frames came out overexposed. Bright sun up in the mountains was probably not the best conditions for Arista Premium 400 (aka Kodak Tri-X?) and yellow or red filter would definitely have helped.
The adapter is 39 to 37 mm. The glueside is the 37, so I can use my 39mm filters from the Summicrons, reversed. However, I had to make a little cutout on the adapter due to the elevated frame around the vf- window. But the adapter is 99,8% invisible in the vf.

The adapter is 39 to 37 mm. The glueside is the 37, so I can use my 39mm filters from the Summicrons, reversed. However, I had to make a little cutout on the adapter due to the elevated frame around the vf- window. But the adapter is 99,8% invisible in the vf.
Thank you, @Harry the K! I did notice a little notch cut out in your adapter. Good to know there's not too much blockage, though I'm not sure how accurate the viewfinder is anyway.

Amazing how sharp the plastic lens (just two elements, do I remember that correctly?) delivers in the middle region of the frame.

The little Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim (vuws) has accounted for a disproportionate share of the photographs I have made in the last ten years. Partly that is because the camera's diminutive size and light weight make it so easy to stuff in a pocket on the way out the door. Beyond that, however, the radical wide angle lens also encourages more boldness in subject selection. There is also the satisfaction of getting dramatic results from such a simple-seeming instrument.
I have always preferred color film for the vuws, but that has become problematic due to current film prices.
12b.jpg

Back