Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 Experiences?

Haha thanks dourbalistar. Here's another one with the 55mm 1.2, this time 125th at f11. Taken a few minutes later (post-piccolo consumption). I did take one of the coffee at f1.2 as well, not nearly as sharp as at f2.8.

Maybe this one should go on "The look" thread. The black F2 eyelevel with the 55mm lens is very conspicuous in this type of setting...

Kelburn cafe
by Hugh B, on Flickr

The 55mm 1.2 is the only Nikkor normal that I still have and use. I’ve always been surprised at its relative obscurity - I much prefer the way it renders over the 50/1.2, 50/1.4, and 50/1.8. I’ve probably shot more with this lens than any other one lens I own.

Yeah, the 55/1.2 seems to get lost a bit among Nikon's fast 50s, with the Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 taking most of the glory (probaby rightfully), and the improved 50mm f/1.2. And these days, non-AI lenses are a bit more overlooked in general. But like you said, it does have some unique image quality. Someone up thread put it really well when they said it goes from dreamy wide open to razor sharp in a few aperture clicks.

Personally, it's been supplanted in my kit in favor of the much smaller and lighter Nikkor 50/1.8 AI-S Japanese-market pancake, but when I need the big guns for low light, the 55/1.2 is available. :D

I have the Nikkor-SC 55/1.2 and the 55/1.2 Ai- the optical formula is slightly different between these two versions, the Ai has a closer focus and the formula was "tweeked". I use the ai version quite a lot with the Df.

The Nikkor-S 55/1.2 is the first lens that Nikon applied multi-coatings to the optics. In 1969 the rear elements received multi-coatings. In its long run, there were several small changes made to the optics.

I have the Nikkor-SC 55/1.2 and the 55/1.2 Ai- the optical formula is slightly different between these two versions, the Ai has a closer focus and the formula was "tweeked". I use the ai version quite a lot with the Df.

The Nikkor-S 55/1.2 is the first lens that Nikon applied multi-coatings to the optics. In 1969 the rear elements received multi-coatings. In its long run, there were several small changes made to the optics.

Thanks for the additional information, Brian! Nico van Dijk's website is also great resource for all the different 55mm f/1.2 types/versions. I have a "Version 3" with the rounded fork, part of a batch (serial numbers over 220001) which included one of those optical changes to improve the performance at close focus.

http://www.nicovandijk.net/55types.htm

These super fast, exotic, lenses like the 55/1.2, 85/1.4, 35/1.4, ect., are a strong reason to shoot Nikons, because they're readily available, relatively inexpensive, and very decent performers.

Back