Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 Experiences?

From 2012-2016, Khalik Allah took a break from filmmaking to work on a documentary portrait project of people congregating at night on the corner of 125th and Lexington in NYC. He used a Nikon F series body, Portra 160 and this lens. I think almost all of the pictures were shot wide open. The project was published in a book in 2017 called Souls Against the Concrete, which I strongly recommend picking up.

His website has some of the pictures:
http://www.khalikallah.com

(I hope this isn't the wrong thread to post this - I'm fairly new to the forum)

From 2012-2016, Khalik Allah took a break from filmmaking to work on a documentary portrait project of people congregating at night on the corner of 125th and Lexington in NYC. He used a Nikon F series body, Portra 160 and this lens. I think almost all of the pictures were shot wide open. The project was published in a book in 2017 called Souls Against the Concrete, which I strongly recommend picking up.

im a big fan of khalik. i speak to him every so often. yes he shot that book with the 55mm wide open at 1/60th. His got a new film coming out called iwow this year. Was meant to premiere april here in london uk but im sure it will be canceled.

Thanks for posting ! Ordered the book .

Best, JM

I bought the book this week based on your post.. gorgeous photos in a beautiful presentation. I will check out his films as well when I get the chance.

I just picked one up as well. Loving it. It's a pretty versatile lens going from arty/dreamy to razor-sharp in a few aperture clicks. I've tried it on my D750 and A7iii, but I much prefer it on film. Especially the bokeh :) Took these with my F100. 1st two with CineStill 800T and the rest with Ultramax 400. Scanned on my Nikon V-ED.

Nikon F100 (004) & Nikkor 55:1.2 S.C. - CineStill 800T - Img12 - Hong Kong by Dean, on Flickr

Nikon F100 (004) & Nikkor 55:1.2 S.C. - CineStill 800T - Img04 - Hong Kong by Dean, on Flickr

Nikon F100 (003.2) & Nikkor 55/1.2 S.C. - Kodak Ultramax 400 - Img01 - Hong Kong by Dean, on Flickr

Nikon F100 (003.1) & Nikkor 55/1.2 S.C. - Kodak Ultramax 400 - Img10 - Hong Kong by Dean, on Flickr

Nikon F100 (003.1) & Nikkor 55:1.2 S.C. - Kodak Ultramax 400 - Img07 - Hong Kong by Dean, on Flickr

I just picked one up as well. Loving it. It's a pretty versatile lens going from arty/dreamy to razor-sharp in a few aperture clicks. I've tried it on my D750 and A7iii, but I much prefer it on film. Especially the bokeh :) Took these with my F100. 1st two with CineStill 800T and the rest with Ultramax 400. Scanned on my Nikon V-ED.

Great stuff, deang001! I like the third photo of the bowl, but the shot of the shoes also shows off the gentle arty/dreamy glow. I had a S.C version briefly, but had to return it because of a borked aperture. While I was sorting out the return, I shot a whole roll wide open, because why not? :)

Back