Nikkor-S 55mm f/1.2 Experiences?

I've used the 55 f/1.2. Its contrast is low, especially wide open; not necessarily a bad thing for low light/night photography. My B&W prints just looked flat, especially when trying it out in the daylight. It was a lot like the 35mm pre-ASPH that way. A great lens when used appropriately; probably not great for general purpose use.

I've used the 55 f/1.2. Its contrast is low, especially wide open; not necessarily a bad thing for low light/night photography. My B&W prints just looked flat, especially when trying it out in the daylight. It was a lot like the 35mm pre-ASPH that way. A great lens when used appropriately; probably not great for general purpose use.

Just stop it down to f2.8 or f4.

Hard to nail focus at wide apertures and close distances. Just missed focus on my daughter's eye, but at least the center is sharp enough to see the individual stitches on the front of her face mask. ;)

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2022.03.05 Roll #302-07004-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

When shooting with these super fast lenses your camera focusing screen and mirror has to be in perfect adjustment. You also have to have your glasses on or the correct diopter in the viewfinder. But when everything is right nothing else will compare. I have this lens and it is not the right lens every time but when you need it nothing else will do.

I prefer the last version, Ai, Multi-coated, closer focus. This is a center sharp lens, best over the center 2/3rds of the image.
A classic 7 element in 5 groups. measured F1.2 and measured T1.25.

Wide-open on the Nikon Df.
Marine1_Nikkor55ai_Wide_Open.jpgMarine2_Nikkor55ai_Wide_Open.jpg

I had the Nikkor-S 55/1.2, made after 1969 with the multicoated rear group. Sold it on an F2 Photomic to "Taffer".

This is one of the things that makes this lens special - that amazing out of focus that looks like you've photographed the very air.
Thank you, @oldwino, I agree! The newer versions of the f/1.2 are objectively "better", but that makes these older lenses overlooked bargains.

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2023.03.25 Roll #326-07833-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back