My Instax adventures

Picture # 101 with the Instax Wide 300. A spring cold front moves up the Sydney coast, October 2020.

52342191894_dcbbe9ef03_o.jpg

Storm clouds off the Sydney coast, October 2020 #101 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Picture # 100 with the Instax Wide 300. A spring cold front moves up the Sydney coast, October 2020.
Conditions like this favour the film's low dynamic range to give dramatic results. It's similar to working with transparency film.

U27021.1662599016.0.jpg

I recently found my stash of Instax Wide and Mini which I bought on the cheap in Germany many moons ago and I'm loving it. I'll post some when I find my scanner which is hiding in one of the many boxes in the garage. Cheers, OtL

I recently found my stash of Instax Wide and Mini which I bought on the cheap in Germany many moons ago and I'm loving it. I'll post some when I find my scanner which is hiding in one of the many boxes in the garage. Cheers, OtL

Great! Looking forward to seeing some pictures when the scanner surfaces :)

Picture #359 with the Instax SQ6. Dee Why beach, Sydney, summer 2023.
+2/3EV exposure compensation.

52647340191_ee2982db41_b.jpg

Summer, 2023 #359 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr
That is absolutely a gem! To me it is a bit impressionistic - the figures, the colors.

It does illustrate one control aspect of the SQ6 that differentiates it from the Mini-90: on the Mini-90, focus is independent of exposure (as it should be). But on the SQ6 if you choose exposure compensation (lighten/darken), then you cannot choose closeup or infinity focus: the camera uses its mid-range setting. In practice, I’ve not found this to make too much of a difference on distant shots - specifications show the lens is equivalent to 32mm and f/66.

Overall, I like my SQ6 better than my Mini-90 - not only are the larger images more satisfying, but there’s a lot less button pushing to get the settings you want.

Lovely. You've really got this Instax medium down pat. :)

G
Many thanks Godfrey, much appreciated. I get out of the house for a short break most days, and usually carry an Instax with me... I like them for their point-and-shoot simplicity, and I like the Fuji instant film colours and rendering.

Picture #387 with the Instax SQ6. Manly beach, late afternoon with the usual hungry seagulls, January 2023. I didn't keep an eye on the horizon when I bent down to grab this shot.

52659981996_73d7530872_b.jpg

Manly beach, Sydney, summer 2023 #387 by lynnb's snaps, on Flickr

Back