Minolta Hi-Matic 7s rangefinder adjustment diagram?

B Flingus

Local time
9:55 AM
I got a great copy of an original 7s last summer, but forgot a strap one day and dropped it. I noticed the images I shot after that were soft. I have had the thing apart twice trying to bring infinity and close focus into agreement, but when I get one dialed in, the other is off. I don't know if I'm missing something, or adjusting the wrong components, it's all just trial and error.

I have seen lots and lots of posts asking about adjusting the 7s, but no one has posted a simple photo with the screws labeled, or if they are, they're for a different Minolta RF.

Does anyone have something like this? I'd hate to scrap such a great camera.

I've not had to adjust the RF on my Hi-Matic 9, opened the top to clean the viewfinder. This camera and the 7s are very similar.
Is the vertical alignment off? If it is- the vertical alignment must be set first, before horizontal alignment can be done.
The mirror can be "tilted" using the set screws. I've done this "painful" adjustment on a Minolta Electro, but the mechanism is a little different from the HM-9 and HM-7s. If you've popped the top, posting some images might help.
As far as I know- once the Vertical alignment is good, set the horizontal for Infinity- focus should be good across range. If it is not- soudns like something is bent or broken.
Minolta_HM9_Topoff.jpg

The screw in the oblong slot in the center appears to be the horiz. adjustment and the one above is the lock screw?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230305_110014_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_110014_Gallery.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 20
I think that is it- but have not verified by actually adjusting it. As you adjust them, is it changing the alignment on the RF?

Yes, that is the horiz adjustment as far as I can tell. I dialed it in this morning, but when I reassembled the camera, it was a hair off again, but I shot a test roll anyway. Vertical is good, so I didn't bother. I'm not sure if there's just one adjustment for near/far, or if there's a separate screw for each.

I'll put this on my list of "things to do", might be a few weeks. I have a Minolta HM-9 all working, broken meter. I'll open it up and play with the rangefinder. I documented cleaning the viewfinder on one, flood-cleaning the shutter on a second. Also documented a pop-the-top on a Minolta AL-E. Will recreate the threads here.

I got a very pretty black 7s this week and opened it up to clean the viewfinder -- it was very hazy. I noticed this morning that it's ever so slightly off at infinity (vertical is fine). It's probably not enough to make a difference but until I develop a roll of film I won't know. There are a few tricky parts to removing and reinstalling the cover, and trying to fine tune the infinity adjustment with those screws, and with the top cover dangling off the body, does not sound like fun.

All that said, I'll await Brian's report (no hurry!) and maybe I'll go back in.

I had to look . I bought this one. Will get it in, clean it up, pop the top, and write-up the instructions with pictures. I'm curious to see how it differs from the HiMatic 9.

I don't do that youtube thang...

I received a Hi-matic 7s today and had to align the range finder vertically, bringing me to this post. From my testing, it appears that the screws behind the mirror outlined in green are the ones used to align the mirror vertically. The left (brass) one is actually a nut, so can easily fall off, and appears to be more of a lock nut, and the one on the right seems to have more of an impact on actual vertical alignment.

By adjusting these I was able to fix the vertical alignment issues on my 7s and get it a bit easier to focus. Now I just have to figure out why the frame counter didn't reset after loading my test roll of film. 🤔 Screenshot_20230305_110014_Gallery~2.jpg

I finally got enough time to disassemble the Minolta 7s. I can confirm the above diagram. I also managed to fix the 7s I bought for $10, the Aperture ring had become idslodged from the mechanism and the Tab for taking the camera off Automatic was jammed, filter ring dented, VF dirty- etc. Had a great time working on it, photographed everything.
The computer ate the pictures. But the camera is fully functional, including the meter and automatic mode.

SO: I opened up my Hi-Matic 9 to verify the Rangefinder mechanism is identical.

Horizontal_Calibration_HM9_and_HM7.jpg

It is.

I can also verify the Hi-Matic 9 45/1.7 lens is not just the 45/1.8 of the Hi-Matic 7s with improved coatings. The diameter of the front element is larger on the HM9. The HM9 also has 1second and 1/2 second shutter speed, and the Easy-Flash follow focus system. The Barrel is larger on the HM9, the bodies are the same.

Back