Instax Square SQ6 work-arounds

rjschell

Established
Local time
9:35 AM
Since you can't combine shooting distance mode with lighten/ darken, I use neutral density gels over sensor (lighten) or lens (darken). A .15ND equals 1/2 stop and a Roscolux #397 Pale gray equals 2/3 stop compensation. Note: use landscape mode for distances 2m to infinity.
Also, to increase flash distance and control I use an optical peanut-size slave connected to a small auto flash (Leica SF20 set to f/11 @ 800) - any flash should work being triggered by the camera flash.
P.S. I'm saddened by the many You Tube reviews/tutorials by people who don't know what they're talking about.

Since you can't combine shooting distance mode with lighten/ darken, I use neutral density gels over sensor (lighten) or lens (darken). A .15ND equals 1/2 stop and a Roscolux #397 Pale gray equals 2/3 stop compensation. Note: use landscape mode for distances 2m to infinity.

Now there's an idea for an accessory: a little stick-on ND filter turret. Seems like the sort of thing Lomography could make, or maybe one of the small workshops that sell 3D-printed camera accessories could come up with one.

Since you can't combine shooting distance mode with lighten/ darken…

Crazy! Looking a the SQ6 mode sequence, the lighten/darken should be separate from “modes” (essentially focus distances).

One reason I bought a Mini 90 is that it does provide decent control over focus distance, lighten/darken, flash control, and (sort of) a faster shutter speed. However, it has the smaller format. Even so, it’s a bit of a chore, every time the camera is powered on, to select the settings one prefers.

I have a Lomo Instant Square. It has manual focus (and a close up lens as well as some filters!) but is auto-exposure other than that (plus multi exposure and Time exposure settings). It has two EV compensation settings beyond normal (+ and -).

It's a slightly funky design, but it makes excellent photos. It folds and is thus more compact when carrying, and all plastic so light weight. Pretty neat camera.

39514904575_97c4d0fe08_b.jpg

:D

G

I use removable double-sided tape for the gels.

Attachments

• #812 warming filter21.jpg
    #812 warming filter21.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 4
  • darken19.jpg
    darken19.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 4
  • flash13.jpg
    flash13.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3
I use these work-arounds to combine lighten/darken with focus distance modes. Also, the external flash extends distance and quality of flash.

Attachments

• lighten18.jpg
    lighten18.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3
  • optical 'slave'15.jpg
    optical 'slave'15.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3
  • orange filter B:W20.jpg
    orange filter B:W20.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 3
On the SQ6 the focus distance defaults to auto (.5-2m) when you choose lighten or darken. This is why I use gels and landscape mode (2m - infinity) when I need to adjust exposure.

Back