Ideal bag for M3

thawkins

Well-known
Local time
3:10 PM
I am in the market for a “messenger” type bag for my M3, two extra lens, Luna Pro light meter and a few rolls of film.
I know the one I want but unsure of the size.

I use a Think Tank Retrospective 6 for my Leicas. It holds a body and a few lenses and meter with some film nicely and isn't too big. Unfortunately, it is no longer manufactured.

ThinkTank Retrospective 7 version 2
I carry two Fuji X Pro2 bodies and two primes in mine.

I have the Peak Design 6L sling and it’s a nice size. I can carry my Hasselblad 1000f with an 80mm lens attached, plus two additional lenses and space to spare. Plus it conforms to my body pretty well.

I'm rather fond of the Canadian Army 1982 pattern fanny pack rigged with a shoulder strap. It's tough, water proof, has one main compartment in the center with magazine pouches on either side - ideal for spare lenses - and a flat document pocket at the back for misc accessories. Best of all, it looks like crap - nothing of value in here! I use a thin neoprene mouse pad to add a bit of protection.
mod-82-f-pak.jpg

I also like to use nondescript cheap looking bags, and military issue ones are often great for this. I have a random black canvas bag with a couple of compartments that I got at a surplus store years ago which works great and hasn't attracted unwanted attention yet.

My most used bag, at present, is a Lowepro Terraclime 100 that I bought a decade or so ago. It's a very simple, small, messenger style bag. One zipped pocket inside at the back, two small catch pockets outside on the front under the flap, light padding and it came with a wrap. The top can be latched closed with a pair of plastic slide catches .. no velco. What's great about it is that it is a nice size, carries an M and a couple of extra lenses, or any of my other diverse equipment, and is easy to get in and out of. Simple, pretty cheap when I bought it, and it's stood up to being used and thrashed about for over a decade already.

Oh yeah: discontinued, but still available from Ebay in either black or green for about $60.

G

What lenses are you looking to carry? A Hadley Digital (about half or 2/3 the size of the Hadley Small) carried my M240 with a lens attached and at least 2 additional lenses easily. I usually had a 50 on the camera and a 35mm (LLLabs) and a 90mm (Konica). I could also fit a 25mm in with the viewfinder too. Depending upon the lenses I could have up to 5 lenses in that bag with the camera.

52965483262_1e35b061dd_c.jpg

52966540658_c102c91b87_c.jpg

52966540653_5fed12f53c_c.jpg

52966223509_8655f0c8c0_c.jpg

There is a 50mm on the M3 and that is a 35mm and the 90mm. Sometimes I have a flap in the middle and can store a lens down there below the lens mounted on the camera. Or you could hold a couple of rolls there or the meter. It also has the big storage area on the front for that too.

Tarmac Rally series.
Padded, divided and designed with real world experience.
No idiotic velcro or stupid zipper for main compartment. Not a laughable size for big money.
I have one as daily bag for over decade now.

But you are not going to make fashion statement with it.

Seriously, just get what you want and don’t worry about the cost over time as it is a small amount.

I have had mine for 12 years and it so far has cost me just $0.04usd/day. Pennies per day of ownership.

A Billingham would be my choice, a black Hadley for example, slight faded used ones come up on ebay all the time, sturdy reliable work horses.

Back