GAS attack, somebody talk me out of buying an Nikon S2

lxmike

M2 fan.
Local time
5:47 PM
I have far too many cameras, (I think I may not be alone on this matter), I mainly use my M2 and CL while shooting 35mm and a %00cm when shoot medium format. I have always had a hankering for a Nikon rangefinder, always liked Nikon glass. I have GAS and a recently advertised S2 with 5cm 1.4 is not helping matters. I know I do not need another camera............help what do I do!

Well, I am not going to help you. It is time to buy it now before these inevitably go up like all other rangefinders.

Yes pass on the S2.

But instead look for a S3 2000 set. Great value just to get the 2000 Olympic 50mm F1.4.

Hope this helps your GAS.

I don't think you shouldn't buy it. If you still have interest in film rangefinders and don't mind narrow 50mm, those are solid reasons to try it.

Don't buy it. You don't need it. It won't make you a better photographer. Your Leica M2 is a perfectly serviceable camera.

It is completely ok to buy a camera because you like it and want to use it...even if you already have another one. I have 6 cameras and use them all. It is not hard or wrong.

The S2 is the best Nikon rangefinder, no doubt about that. If you can get a Voigtländer S Skopar 50mm f2.5 with it, you will have one of the best sets there is. It is nice to change your camera from time to time.

gelatin silver print (s skopar 50mm f2.5) nikon S2

Erik.

48008919137_92df216ac7_b.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	48008919137_92df216ac7_b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	4794550

I have far too many cameras, (I think I may not be alone on this matter), I mainly use my M2 and CL while shooting 35mm and a %00cm when shoot medium format. I have always had a hankering for a Nikon rangefinder, always liked Nikon glass. I have GAS and a recently advertised S2 with 5cm 1.4 is not helping matters. I know I do not need another camera............help what do I do!

A nice change of pace from an M2 -- great 50mm frames with a massive 1.0x mag finder, cute focusing wheel, generally contrasty focusing patch, and a unique -- "ka-plunk" -- shutter sound. Probably the best "shooter" of the Nikon rangefinders. The viewfinder will rip up eyeglasses unless precaution taken, and the shutter speed dial is what it is.

You always can turn around and sell it if you don't like/use it. If nothing else, it'll make your appreciate the M2. Nikons are capable cameras, especially the S2, but the Leica is far more seamless and easy to use.

Still though, that 1.0x viewfinder can be intoxicating ...

I shot with several S2's for a year or so. Only passed them on because I'm not really a 50 shooter.

The Nikon S2 is one of the best cameras ever made for using with a 50mm lens. 1x finder, does not flare like the S3 and S4. Much better than the Contax viewfinders.

nikki-chinese-rest-4a.jpg

Very easy to use a West German 50mm F1.5 and 50mm F2.0: simply use the variable stand-off ring of the Sonnar and back it out about 1/3rd of a turn.
My 50/1.5 Zeiss Opton on the Nikon S2, wide-open.

Also a Great body for use with the Helios-103.

nikki1-menopta-a.jpg

Undo the set screws, back out 1/2 turn.

BTW, You know this is the wrong place to ask for Intervention.

It is completely ok to buy a camera because you like it and want to use it...even if you already have another one. I have 6 cameras and use them all. It is not hard or wrong.

Just trying to provide moral support to a fellow photographer trying to fend off a self-described GAS attack who has conceded that he does not need another camera and asked in the thread title to be talked out of acquiring it.

Coming here to seek help in your GAS crisis is a bad idea! I know this thread is doing the opposite for me...

Being on this forum for almost 20 years-

When someone asks to be talked out of buying a camera or lens, it's usually understood that they want someone to help rationalize why they need it.

And as stated- buying a camera, using it, experiencing it, usually can be sold at about the same price. Nikon RF prices are way down, Leica prices are way up. Buying a Nikon S2 with 5cm F1.4 on it cost about as much as a LTM Nikkor 5cm F1.4. Other Nikon S-Mount lenses are much less than the same in LTM. The Price of the S2 body- about the same as an Amedeo adapter,

Being on this forum for almost 20 years-

When someone asks to be talked out of buying a camera or lens, it's usually understood that they want someone to help rationalize why they need it.

And as stated- buying a camera, using it, experiencing it, usually can be sold at about the same price. Nikon RF prices are way down, Leica prices are way up. Buying a Nikon S2 with 5cm F1.4 on it cost about as much as a LTM Nikkor 5cm F1.4. Other Nikon S-Mount lenses are much less than the same in LTM. The Price of the S2 body- about the same as an Amedeo adapter,

I agree on all accounts. An S2 is definitely in my future!

Back