Current Rolleiflex CLA Cost?

I tried contacting a couple of the names mentioned here to service my old Rolleiflex F, but neither person has responded after a week. I ended up taking apart the shutter myself, and found a broken part. I found a replacement part on eBay, and have just put the shutter back together, and now it works fine. No rocket science was required, and it cost me less than the round-trip postage to the repair shop.

I tried contacting a couple of the names mentioned here to service my old Rolleiflex F, but neither person has responded after a week. I ended up taking apart the shutter myself, and found a broken part. I found a replacement part on eBay, and have just put the shutter back together, and now it works fine. No rocket science was required, and it cost me less than the round-trip postage to the repair shop.

true, TLR service is not rocket science but time consuming project. I just do not have time to do it.

I got my Roleiflex 3.5F fom Ross Yerkes about 20 years ago. He does CLA's for Rollei and one other camera. I don't know if he is still in business.

I just sent my Rolleiflex 2.8C off to Harry Fleenor. He quoted me a 8 week turnaround. I can't wait to get it back and see how it looks and feels.

I am expecting my mx-evs back from Brian Mickleboro (UK) today or tomorrow. £130 for shutter service and transport, plus £30 to supply and fit a second-hand rollei screen with split-image focussing aid. Very friendly and helpful via phone and email, will update when I have the camera back in my hands!

So, I haven't been able to run a roll through yet, but so far all looking good. The camera was also returned beautifully cleaned, although the lenses haven't cleaned up as well as I hoped they would. So far I have been too scared to attempt a diy clean on them.

David

Last edited:
Got my Rolleiflex repaired by Harry Fleenor. The shutter was completly broken and the transport also needed a complete overhaul (the camera had not been used in close to 30 years). Here's the breakdown

shutter overhaul $134.00, transport overhaul (stiff) $134.00, UPS shipping $33.00, total = $301.00

I got the camera back within 2 months and this includes me mailing it out to him and then sending the check for the repair sent out. Overall I'am VERY happy with Mr Fleenor.

Sargon Evanian in Sydney.
$150 to overhaul a Rolleicord IV.
$200 to overhaul 2 Rolleiflex Autocords (RF111a and k50/4)
Slow shutter/bulb mode and a film advance wearing out, Complete shutter overhaul and removing fungus from lens for the other and putting in new leatherette.

He charged another customer $500 to do a complete overhaul for a Rollei 2.8F from scratch that only had good lenses (everything else was dead, front plate was a mess and no hood) and he brought it back to life with a spare hood and front plates (NOS?) he had.

Question to the forum: Beside the usual DIY kits I read here on the forum, is there anyone whom I can use to repair several of my Rolleiflex TLR cases? The stitching has broken down and I would hate to toss it away...

Thanks,

Evan

Hi,

I have a rolleicord IV that I feel needs a cla. The shutter has become less sensitive, I have to push all the way on it so that it fires and it bothers me as it tends to make the camera shake a little. It used to beway more supple. Plus the slow speeds don't seem to be reliable anymore.

The thing is I'm not sure if it's worth spending too much money on it. It bought it for 250€ two years ago and had a first repair just before the summer that cost me 220€.

I'd be willing to pay for a cla in the $130-170 zone if there is a good one on the U.S. east coast. but sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to simply shell out more money to upgrade to a rolleiflex ? I'm torn because I like the one I have and I can't really sell it as is so any advice would be welcomed !

Ps : I live in Rochester, NY if anyone knows of someone around here. I'd like to be able to do avoid postage.

Harry Fleenor used to be expensive compared to others: No longer.
His prices have remained stable - others seem to have increased.
As of 3.1.15, Mark Hansen's current rates are within $20 of Fleenor's.

Fleenor's basic shutter / transport overhaul is $138 each. Any additional repairs, parts will be extra: Focus mech align / lube on one of my cameras was additional $190.

A few days ago, I got my 2.8C back from Harry Fleener. The repair took 9 weeks, exactly as promised.

Shutter overhaul:$154.00
Transport overhaul:$134.00

I would recommend Harry.

John

Question to the forum: Beside the usual DIY kits I read here on the forum, is there anyone whom I can use to repair several of my Rolleiflex TLR cases? The stitching has broken down and I would hate to toss it away...

Thanks,

Evan

I always ask my shoe repare guy, and he does a very nice job!
Currently he is making handles for two of my ICA Tropicas.

handle.jpg

If you are in the United Kingdom, I would recommend Newton Ellis in Liverpool. Recently had my Automat MX, an early 1950's model, repaired and serviced there. The slow shutter speeds were sticking and the self timer pretty ratchety & hesitant. All seems fine now, & a lot cleaner. Was £162 including VAT. Might seem a bit expensive, but I've used he camera for the last 10 years and if it is good for another 10 that's great. Looks and sounds like a new camera now. Cheers Andrew.

I would only say this if I could do it myself. Can you? They are not inexpensive camera to be buying, only to be cheap in looking for a repairer.

Really nice 3.5 MX-EVS can be had for about $300, so not all of them are expensive. Actually I've seen people ask the same money for a Yashicamat 124g which is nuts.
But I digress, work and experience costs. And I feel we should embrace those who still work on our cameras, and encourage future generations of skilled service men. Who wants to learn the trade if they feel they cannot make a living at it?

FYI Fleenor's wait period is still 10 weeks. Obviously there are plenty of people who appreciate his talents.

Back