An Explanation of the POD (Pad of Death)

b1bmsgt

Yeah, I still use film...
Local time
5:32 AM
For everyone who doesn't know, or isn't quite sure...

This is the POD (Pad of Death) (Note: The plate that the POD is attached to has been rotated 180 degrees so that it is visible. It is normally over the rod on the left. See second picture)

PadofDeathInside1.jpg

This is the way it is positioned normally

PadofDeathInside2.jpg

It is the interface between the shutter release rod (on the right)and the rod next to it that holds the brushes of the metering system:

ContactWipers.jpg

The POD is normally in contact with the brush rod. When the shutter release is pressed, the POD pushes down the brush rod, moving the brushes up and down on the contacts and activating the exposure lights in sequence. At the end of the stroke, when the shutter is tripped, the brush rod is captured by a latching arm and stays in the down position, deactivating the electronics. When the film wind is moved, a mechanism releases the brush rod and the spring propels it back up, where it recontacts the POD. This is the "clunk" that everyone wants to hear when they advance their film! If the POD is deteriorated, as shown in the picture, then the spacing is thrown off and the metering system will not work properly, and the brush rod does not travel far enough to lock down. In this case, no "clunk", as the brush rod goes back up along with the shutter release rod.

This is why it has become known as the Pad of Death...if it is bad, the camera, in effect, dies.

For the information of potential Ebay Electro buyers...
Based on the 150+ Electros I have bought, restored and sold, and restored for paying customers, I have found that G's and GS/GT's invariably have badly deteriorated POD's. GSN's/GTN's have about a 50/50 chance of having a good POD. Apparently Yashica went to a different material somewhere in the production run that does not turn into a disgusting pile of goo as the camera ages.

Hope this helps all the new Electro fans that join the forum!!

(Maybe we could make this a sticky for new members??)

Russ :D

Last edited:
Thank you for showing this, I've two that need replacing and this is the best view I've seen of the problem area. Post more PLEASEEEEEEEEE!:D

And Mods, can this be a sticky?

Eli

thanks for the pics! but forgive my slowness. That isn't the position of the pad in the camera, is it? It must be flipped over 180 degrees to interact with the rods? or am I way off?

thanks for the pics! but forgive my slowness. That isn't the position of the pad in the camera, is it? It must be flipped over 180 degrees to interact with the rods? or am I way off?

Correct. I have edited the post to reflect this. Thanks for pointing that out!

To all, thank you for the kind words!

I have just expanded the description of the function and importance of the POD to make it as informative as possible. Be sure to re-read the post.

Russ ;)

Last edited:
Any information about the quality of the pods in gx'es? It's one of the latest electro's.
And is there a way to silence the 'clunk' by using some damping material? Would be nice to turn that CLACK in to a whisper :)

Any information about the quality of the pods in gx'es? It's one of the latest electro's.
And is there a way to silence the 'clunk' by using some damping material? Would be nice to turn that CLACK in to a whisper :)
Would be interesting to know about the quality of the GX pad.
As for the clunk:
Just hold the release button while advancing and there will be no clunk!

Wallace

Hi, sorry to dig out such an old post.

I just got my hand on a Electro 35 GSN.

Got POD or not?

I notice the clunk sound is very soft, so is my unit currently free of POD?

And one more thing, is the Electro 35 GSN aperture blade behind the shutter leaf?

Back