A Massive Trove of Cameras in a Storage Facility

Quite an interesting assemblage of gear. Make’s one wonder the logic of the collection.

Thanks for the link!

I'm not quite that bad. I also gave contact information for Popflash to consign things... if anything happens to me...

It is a modest collection. A good start for a beginner.

(LOL, ok that’s a lot. My camera-repair friend told me he has a few storage units filled with cameras - he either sells them, repairs them, or uses them for parts depending on a camera’s condition).

I am happy knowing these cameras will find homes and be used. Although what I have is a very small fraction of that, I do my best to use all my cameras all the time.

$200,000? I dunno about that. That's $200 per camera. I know from the article they found a few gems in there, but I see a whole lot of crap cameras there, too, that no one is gonna pay 20 bucks for, let alone a double C-note.

I know it floats some people's boats, but why would you *bother* to collect a butt-ton of cameras that were, really, not very good?

Stored without use for so many years, one wonders how many of those cameras need a CLA to get them into working condition.

Reactions: dct
Stories like this often give me a little sadness. This collection was brought together by someone who presumably cared enough to assemble it, and now it is being parted out into the world. Who was this person? Why did they collect so many different cameras? What was their story? On the positive side, this brings a lot more vintage cameras into the market, which benefits enthusiasts and collectors. My collection is no where near anything like this, but I'm reaching an age where I feel I have to think of where my things will go. Time to start a will, I guess.

Stories like this often give me a little sadness. This collection was brought together by someone who presumably cared enough to assemble it, and now it is being parted out into the world. Who was this person? Why did they collect so many different cameras? What was their story? On the positive side, this brings a lot more vintage cameras into the market, which benefits enthusiasts and collectors. My collection is no where near anything like this, but I'm reaching an age where I feel I have to think of where my things will go. Time to start a will, I guess.
I've told folks to just get in touch with KEH, should I pass suddenly. My survivors may not know a thing about cameras, but they'll get a fair deal. And my equipment will get brought up to snuff, if needed, and put back into the hands of other photographers. That's enough for me!

According to this article...

...some of the items are being sold here:

About us​

My boyfriend & I have recently become the lucky new owners of a storage unit that held a very large camera collection! (aprox. 2000 pieces all together not including accessories & such) We plan to sell it off here,& that could take years, so follow us! & keep your eyes open; we may have what you are looking for to complete your collection! Feel free to contact me with question/ inquiries on specific pieces, but please be kind & keep in mind that I'm only 1 person, I also work a day job, & I am the mother of 2 young boys! I will try my hardest to get back to you quickly! For the last 3 monthsliterally every second of free time I've had (there isn't much of that as it is!) has been spent getting these cameras/camera equipment categorized, & some what put away...my tiny apartment feels more like a camera store than a home at the moment but it will all be worth it in the end!

!!Google the articles that have been written on us @: Kosmofoto.com & PetaPixel.com !! keyword "storage unit"
s-l1600.webp

Last edited:
When life has left my body and I’m dead.
the thought of all my cameras and lenses...
I don’t care and I don’t give a damn…
All those expensive toys gave "me" pleasure
I’ve seen enough of the young generation to know,
They don’t give a damn either, they'd sell them
…for pennies on the pound

Mike

I've dreamt of finding a haul like that. Then wondered what I'd do with it all. Getting ready to inventory my stash for the auction house, and maybe sell a few choice items here.

PF

When life has left my body and I’m dead.
the thought of all my cameras and lenses...
I don’t care and I don’t give a damn…
All those expensive toys gave "me" pleasure
I’ve seen enough of the young generation to know,
They don’t give a damn either, they'd sell them
…for pennies on the pound

Mike
I used to think that if I’d had children I could pass down to them my collections, photos, and family history. A few years ago I realized my cousins’ children and grandchildren, of whom there are many, don’t care about anything that’s more than a few weeks old. So, I had been deluding myself.

So, the best we can do perhaps is donate our cameras to those who we feel would benefit or appreciate such a gift.

They are probably going to cherry pick out the good stuff, then "donate to charity" the junk at hugely inflated prices and take a huge write off on their taxes. My guess. $200,000? Not a chance.

I used to think that if I’d had children I could pass down to them my collections, photos, and family history. A few years ago I realized my cousins’ children and grandchildren, of whom there are many, don’t care about anything that’s more than a few weeks old. So, I had been deluding myself.

So, the best we can do perhaps is donate our cameras to those who we feel would benefit or appreciate such a gift.
As the unofficial family historian, I've been collecting the photographs and stories of how our family came to Australia in the tail end of the Gold Rush. My great grandmother lived through two world wars. Our stories are of little importance to anyone other than us, but I sometimes wonder if there is a way to preserve them for others while retaining our privacy in the present. I lament that our little bit of history will be lost when we pass.

As the unofficial family historian, I've been collecting the photographs and stories of how our family came to Australia in the tail end of the Gold Rush. My great grandmother lived through two world wars. Our stories are of little importance to anyone other than us, but I sometimes wonder if there is a way to preserve them for others while retaining our privacy in the present. I lament that our little bit of history will be lost when we pass.
You could create a book on one of those sites like Blurb to archive all your family stories and photos. Give one to each of the siblings and their families, and then see if any of them would like to have the original photos. You could also make a version for presentation to a local historical society that doesn't delve as deeply into the family histories other than what's necessary to be informative of the times.

PF

Back