Cuba with a Fuji GF670 camera

Always interesting to see someone else show their take on Habana Vieja. I recognized about 2/3 of the locations without looking at the captions. I always stay with my adopted Cuban family on Consulado right off the north end of the Prado when I am in Havana.

Did you get out of Havana? The provinces are quite different. In fact, the outlying sections of Havana are quite different than Habana Vieja and Centro.

Thanks for posting. I like the accurate tone and pace of your images, if that makes sense? I was there for awhile in the early 90s and it looks like things have improved a bit (at least in the city).

Always looking for some yerba buena this time of year.

-Charlie

For the week that I was in Cuba, I stayed in Havana, just wandering about. If I didn't spend a lot of time watching where I was stepping on the bad pavements, I might have seen more of the city. A camera such as a Leica might have been better for the street photograpy, but I had Walker Evans in mind with the using of a medium format camera.

Herman

Herman: I know exactly what you mean about watching where you step with the bad pavements. The absence of personal injury attorneys and the Cuban economic situation certainly provides for holes in the sidewalk big enough to break a leg if you are not careful. Cubans accept that as the norm and are careful, we must learn to think similarly.

You must return and spend some time in the provinces. Quite different attitudes than the tourist dominated Habana Vieja.

I normally go for two weeks, spending one week in Havana and another in one of the western or mid-country provinces. I have accumulated a number of friends in Cuba over the ten or something trips I have made. Next trip is in September.

If you have interest in my interpretation of the Cuban people and Culture, see http://bobmichaels.org/Cuba_intro.htm These photos have been exhibited in Cuba and a number of galleries in the US.

Back