With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

With the recent Kodak news, are you stocking up on film?

• No, I am not alarmed in the least

Votes: 131 47.8%
  • No, but planning to

Votes: 42 15.3%
  • Sort of, buying some favorite films

Votes: 69 25.2%
  • Yes, stocking up on lots of film

Votes: 20 7.3%
  • YES! Buying a new freezer to hold more film!

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • What is film?

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Pastor Chris

Well-known
Local time
7:57 AM
With Kodak selling its film division, and Efke ceasing production, are any of you starting to/increasing your stocking up on favorite films?

I am a Portra fan and just bought 15 rolls. I also like Tri-x, but I have a lot of that already, but will probably buy a bulk roll or two soon. I am less worried about Tri-x since there are other manufacturers who replicate it already. I'm just wondering where other film shooters stand in their preparations.

Hold on to your hardware: I'm considering ditching my Leica gear :eek: so I can invest in loads of Portra, Tri-X and Tmax 120 film, D76, Tetenal kits, and the Plustek scanner :eek: to keep my Rolleiflexes in business. In which case there'll be enough change (and motive!) to invest in a freezer too...:eek::eek:

Not that worried but if AP400 disappears and HP5+ bulk goes up too much I'll likely start shooting more Foma which is not the end of the world but less than ideal :-/

Not stocking up. I have used and liked Tri-X and TMY-2, but standardized on HP5plus for some time now.

But, even if I used Kodak films at the moment, reading the news the way I have I would stock up only because of the announced price increase coming shortly. Other than that, Tri-X etc. are not going to disappear from the shelves over night. I would personally not feel too happy about having to stockpile an ISO 400 film. ISO 100 and lower, no problem.

Greetings, Ljós

I've been buying a few 100' bulk rolls of Arista Premium (Tri-X) once a month, or everytime I'm in the neighborhood of Freestyle. Just went yesterday to buy a dozen rolls of Efke IR820 and Aura; it will probably be the last IR film I ever have the oppertunity to shoot...so each roll will be savored

Do not panic. Stay calm.

These are my first instructions to my students for exams. I suggest to do the same here.

Nope. I shoot almost exclusively Tri-X and Acros (though I like Ilford film, these were the two I happened to nail dev with first), I have no plans to preemptively stock up until I have an explicit reason.

That said, I've purchased 20 rolls of Acros and 100 of Tri-X in 120 and as well as 100 feet in 35mm in the last month but that was just replenishing what I'd gone through recently.

Edit: Only mentioned Acros because Fuji still seems like a wildcard. Maybe with the uncertainty about other manufacturers around they'll end up with more market share and will be more likely to support film even longer. I hope Kodak, Fuji and Ilford are around for a long, long time.

On a regulary base I use only Ektar 100 and Gold 200 from Kodak. Have started increasing my monthly purchase and will do it until my freezer keeps enough for more than one year shooting. Will do the same for other film types which might become discontinued.

I plan to up my consumption of film but not stockpile it yet. I have Tri-X as my go to film and a stock of Neopan 400. I will also try HP5+ in the near future as a fall back. It wont hurt to be familiar with its handling characteristics in my favorite developers just in case there is a supply problem with the other makes.

Choice one... dedicated 5-7 cuft freezer with years of stock. No high ISO. I'm more worried about me lasting than my film supply. BTW.. recently went through seven year old CD and DVD's with digital images and around ten to fifteen percent were unreadable. My negatives from the late 1960's look good..well as good as an untrained young boy with more passion than talent might be expected to take. 86yo father sent me some Kodachrome that he recently scanned that dates from the early fifties.

No. A few rolls of Ektar and Portra won't save me and I don't have the money for a couple of hundreds of each. Besides, what if C-41 chemistry kits disappear even sooner?! How would I develop my precious film? Minilabs? No, thanks...

Not too worried about B&W. I like Ilford just as much.

No. Plus-X was my Kodak film, and they have already stopped making that. Tri-X is nice, but I've shot HP-5 for years, it being pretty much my medium and large format film of choice when developed in HC-110. (Now HC-110 I'm thinking of stocking up on. It's not my first choice for small format negs, but for larger negs it does everything I want it to do.) HP-5 would be the film I'd fill a freezer full of if it were going to bite the dust.

I'm still searching for a replacement for Plus-X. FP-4 doesn't do it for me. I've got Acros and Rollei 80S in two different cameras now testing the stuff.

The Kodak chemistry division was sold some time ago to Champion and there has been no interruption in supply. Worry not.

Just bought 500ft of Arista Premium 400 and a few hundred feet of Efke KB100 ... I'm not panicking but I'm certainly worried.

I'm also considering not using digital for black and white work at all any more ... no more conversions. Digital has won the colour war but no need to let it deplete my black and white output.

Back