Moment of madness? Leica to film SLR

menthel

Not very good...
Local time
6:56 AM
If I were to ditch the Leica gear (its just too much money tied up in gear that gets used not often enough- M6, 35mm summi v3, 50mm voigtlander f1.5 and 90mm emarit f2.8), what would be a good replacement system?

I am thinking small, manual SLR. I previously owned an OM2-SP which I loved but would like something more along the lines of my M6; ie manual and not reliant on batteries- fine to have for metering but not for anything else. I have therefore been thinking about a Nikon FM2N. Seems to suit the billing but how small are they? Would also want a 3 lens set up again, 28-35 (f2 or 2.8), 50mm (f1.8 or faster) and a portrait lens ~90 (f2.8 or faster).

Ideas, suggestions or is this just madness? If the leica gear went obviously I would have quite a lot to use but say ~£600 in total for this leaving me a nice chunk of money freed up for other reasons.

An OM-1 seems the natural choice to me ... and no not madness ... logic! :D

I think an OM-1 is actually a little smaller than an M6 not considering the lens mount and height of the prism housing. I use my OM-1 in a case made for an M2 and I have to pack the camera up a little with cardboard.

FM2n is quite a small camera. Without a lens not that much different than an M6. Lighter though. They are well built and seem to last well. Work fine if the battery for the exposure meter dies too. Only thing I don't like about mine is the noise of the shutter, it makes a fair thump. However it does do 1/4000.

Thanks all. I think I am thinking either oly or nikon for this, the lenses and cameras are easier to find than some of the other options (eg pentax MX). My only problem with the OM cameras would probably be the age when compared to the FM2N but then they are less "flimsy" than my old OM2-SP that didn't quite share the build quality of its brothers and sisters!

Then there is lens choice. The OM series has a nice selection of 28mm but less so 35. It also becomes difficult to find a good short tele that is not way overpriced (I am looking at you 85mm zuiko!).

Decisions, decisions!

The OM-1 has the best build quality of all the OMs IMO. My OM-4 and OM-3 are nowhere near as nice as the early camera ... they feel quite harsh in the advance and lack the solid feel of the OM-1.

I have a Nikon FE (same size as the FM2n) but much prefer using my Olympus OM-1n. It is a great mechanical camera. I have a 35mm f/2 ($148); 50mm f/1.4 ($100) ; and 100mm f/2.8 ($108). Check out KEH.com for prices. I bought most of my lenses there.

I think this is the problem with older cameras, its difficult to go out there and fondle them and that is what I need to do. Its a tactile thing when making this kind of decision.

The harshness in the later OMs is due a redesign of the mechanism and the gears being made out of steel rather than brass, although I agree the early models seem to have a nicer overall fit and finish. The steel vs brass durability issue isn't an issue when you're not relying on winders.

The weather sealed OM-3 and OM-4/OM-4T are tanks, and two of the few classic competitors to Nikon SLRs when it comes to harsh environments and general abuse.

But yes, I also vote for the OM-1. Sounds perfect from what you are describing, and I've always felt OM-1s and 2s had a little bit of that Leica feel. For a little more cash you could even get the "M1" labelled OM1 and confuse people.

How about a Leica R? R5 if you don't mind electronics, R6 if you want all-mechanical, both of them nicely compact and the 35/f2.8, 50/f2 and either 60/f2.8 macro or 90/f2.8 lenses form a nice set and are not too expensive.

FM2n gets my vote as I have one in addition to my M6 and two OM1n s. Solid and dependable with flash synch up to 1/250. Consider third party lenses too. I bought 3 Komine made Vivitars for very little money.

+1 for the FM2N. The price and availability of used Nikon cameras and optics is hard to argue with. I once shot slides of printed circuit boards with an F3 and 55mm 2.8 Micro Nikkor that I used as part of a training program. Projected on a wall at a huge size you could read the printing on ICs.

Olympus or Pentax is a good call. They feel so tiny compared to moden DSLRs.

Alternatively how about a Pentax Spotmatic for something that is simple and feels like an M3?

Spotmatic-frontleft.jpg

Or a Contax S2? Fairly exclusive and is a good route into some lovely Contax glass.

s2b.jpg

You should come to Manchester The Real camera Company has oodles of gear you can fondle. :)

If you do not require the ability to see outside the framelines, the slight bump in handholding ability, or the smaller footprint of lenses, then I would say go for it. The aforementioned three perks of a rangefinder are important for my shooting, otherwise I would probably see no benefit in a rangefinder over an slr, for my needs.

I had an FM2N, and may get one again seeing as I have some focal lengths for my Nikon dslr I do not have covered by my M. Nowhere in the same league as an M6 body-wise, imo, but not a bad camera. I liked the 1/4000 top shutter speed, but did not like the shutter, which felt like a hammer dropping every time I pressed it.

If you do go the Nikon route, just beware the 35's may not be in the same league as you are used to, although the 24's & 28's are supposed to be stellar. 50 & 90, you should have no problem finding very capable lenses in this range.

Back