Time for a neck strap vs. wrist strap rant

kshapero

South Florida Man
Local time
8:04 PM
No need for a poll. If you have a rangefinder or mirrorless camera tell us why you use one or the other.
I myself, prefer using either a long Gordy Neck Strap or a long Domke gripper neck strap. What say you? :)

Gordy wrist strap. Great product for the price.

I'd much rather have my camera hanging discreetly at my wrist than have a strap around my neck -- basically announcing to the world at-large that I'M WANDERING AROUND TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS! But maybe that's just me.

A neck strap just feels too confining and clumsy to me.

i use both and like both, pretty much equally.
it mostly depends on my mood...if i head out w/o a bag i usually will use the longer strap to keep my hands free.

Neckstrap all the way but sometimes use the strap only as a securing guard loose wrapped around my fore-arm.

my long straps are very long, i wear them over the neck, bandolero style and almost always have my hand on the camera grip.

I use Domke Grippers on all my cameras, but sometimes I wrap it around my wrist like a wrist strap. Does that count as both?

I like both. I use neck straps when I have 2 Leica's with me. Currently I just order for me a wrist trap and I feel quite comfortable. I intend to use it for a short walking photo session, says couple of hours.

6228645005_acb11c2abb_z.jpg

6160814287_198e63a81d_z.jpg

7188620367_57245dcdb4_z.jpg

I always use multiple cameras, and want them readily available as opposed to buried in a bag, so I only use neck straps. On the very rare times I only carry one camera I often twist the neck strap around my wrist.
When I carry more than one camera, I use a combo wrist strap an neck strap. I have my XA and my X100 on wrist straps and my slrs or medium format cameras on neck straps.

If I'm only carrying one camera it's either the XA or X100 doubled up on a wrist strap and a neck strap. The neck strap is attached to a carabiner and used only when it's my turn to get a round of beers.

One camera on a neck strap (MP), one with a wrist strap (M9). More shots with the M9, so it's in-hand, and I don't have two cameras banging into one another around my neck.

i use both and like both, pretty much equally.
it mostly depends on my mood...if i head out w/o a bag i usually will use the longer strap to keep my hands free.

Like that.

One of the great things about the Leica neckstraps is how easy they are to attach and remove.

For a wrist loop I just use a loop of 550 cord (mil-spec parachute cord) through one of these.

I've previously used a double slip knot paracord (550) strap that could work as a neck strap, or wrist strap by simply sliding either or both ends together.

Currently using a handmade paracord strap with large hand opening:

7183818683_e66a68ae78_b.jpg

I use the Leica neckstrap. It is adjustable and grips well. I wear the camera across my torso instead of on one shoulder. On occasions I shoot one handed, I wrap the strap around my forearm and wrist.

It depends on the size of the camera. I use my FM and smaller cameras with a wrist strap but the F100 and larger work better with a shortish neck strap. I prefer Gordy's straps.

I like neck straps because my hands can be free when I'm not photographing. You never know when you might have to get physical... ;) I like the black label bags silk straps.

I use a think Nikon neckstrap, but's always used either as a wrist strap or a shoulder strap, if that makes sense.

Homemade wrist strap on my M7 + 35mm Color Skopar, which is then tucked into a belt pouch made for point and shoots. That way I can keep the camera hidden while walking, and easily take it out for shooting when needed.

Back