Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders

Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders This forum is for 35mm Kodak Retinas and Ektras rangefinders. The Retinas are known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses. The Ektras are known as by far the finest 35mm American made rangefinder ever made.

Kodak Retina IIS
Old 05-20-2010   #1
Mablo

Kodak Retina IIS

My latest acquisition.

The black box above camera is an optional viewfinder for the IIS dedicated set of Kodak close range lenses. The viewfinder has automatic parallax correction and works like a charm. The camera itself is in one word magical. It oozes mechanical quality and craftmanship. If you ever encounter one of these, grab it and do not let it go.

Last edited by Mablo : 05-20-2010 at 11:18.

Old 05-20-2010   #2
Brian Sweeney

The IIS is an uncommon camera, essentially the manual version of the later Auto III. The viewfinder is quite good, shares most of the same components of the IIIS viewfinder.

Old 05-20-2010   #3
Mablo

Thanks Brian. I spent the evening out with IIS shooting whatever came to sight. It's a wonderful camera to use. The viewfinder is bright and large and focusing is really easy if you can find the small focusing tab.. there are quite many tabs around the lens so finding the right one is crucial. I'm expecting a lot from the Xenar lens. My 'Cord has one and I adore it. Hopefully I can develop the first roll tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2010   #4
lxmike
Barnack fan

Its very similar to the Retinette IIb I used to own, I relly like the two red indicators on the lens that allow you to visualise the depth of field. I really feel that Retinas and Retinettes are very undervalued as street shooters by some collector/users, (0bviously I don't mean any of the members of this forum). I just feel that they are very nice quiet cameras with great glass, I really regret selling my Retinette IIb, I definately wont be selilng my Retina IIa, its beautifully, (for a Kodak), engineered and whisper quiet

Old 05-21-2010   #5
Mablo

Mike, the IIa is definitively on my radar. I'm glad you like it. Shot a few test shots with my IIS to see how the meter works and get the first impression of the lens. So far so good. Everything works as it should. The lens seems super sharp, see some examples (no sharpening):

f/11, focus to eternity:

f/5.6, near focus:

Partial enlargement.

Old 05-21-2010   #6
kitaanat
kitaanat

Mablo, your IIS is in a very good condition. I'm keep an eye on these Retina IIIS too. Your test shot tell everything, the camera's range finder still accurate please bring this camera to show me next time you are in Bangkok.

We see pictures through our own eyes. We edit it in our brain. If that's a good one, take it with our camera.

Old 05-21-2010   #7
Mablo

Kitaanat, I will. That's a promise.