Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc

Photo Accessories / Bags/ Meters / Tripods etc A place to discuss the delights of photo accessories, including bags, meters, tripods, filters, straps, camera cases, lens hoods, anything non digital that can make your gearhead life a little bit more enjoyable.

View Poll Results: which of the 3 top brands and why? or not at all?
Leica UV filters 38 10.56%
B+W MRC fliters 177 49.17%
Hoya MC filters 18 5.00%
Go "Commando" (no filters at all) 127 35.28%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2010   #81
craygc

Always B+W UVs, Orange/Reds and NDs. However, I went and bought a Kenko 58mm ND4 last night from Yodabashi Camera in Tokyo so I could crank open the VC 50mm f/1.1 today - tried to get a B+W in Singapore before left but none in stock. With Ektar 100 and an ND4 filter with heavy overcast - set the meter to ISO 32 - Im still having trouble getting to f/1.1

Old 04-22-2010   #82
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Ah. Here's the test that I was thinking of.

Edited to add: here is the summary page.

Hoya HMC and pro-digital win big. B+W MRC does well, too.

Heliopan and non-MRC B+W filters fare poorly. Tiffen: fail.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Last edited by semilog : 07-05-2010 at 18:39.

Old 05-03-2010   #83
B.J.Scharp
Film fanatic

B+W MRC. Only ones you can easily clean in the field (of the brands I've tested).

And I only use `protection' on older lenses. Newer lenses are hard enough by themselves, and only get a filter for B&W or slide purposes.

Old 12-05-2011   #84
Rashomon1415

You buy Leica to have light go through Leica glass and only Leica glass. Why would you "un-Leica" it by slapping a filter on it?

Old 12-05-2011   #85
kokoshawnuff

B+W clear for protection on all my lenses because I don't like some of the results I've gotten from UV filters (either Heliopan, B+W, or Leica)

Old 12-06-2011   #86
Shade

For uv filters I prefer b / w, since the coating is much better than the leica, you can literally see the difference with your own eyes and not to mention they are also thinner than the leica.

I even like Hoya better since they have the same quality with less price. However its just my sickness that I wont put a made in japan filter on a made in germany lens. No offense.

I only use leica when there is no other options.

Old 12-06-2011   #87
Vics

I don't use any filters for protection. I DO keep a hood on all the time (partly to protect the glass). I do use filters on my Rollei often, but not for protection. I sometimes shoot landscape or architecture with the Rolleis and a yellow or even a red filter helps with skies and such.

My Flickr

Old 12-06-2011   #88
jsrockit

No hood, no filters... I like to go bareback!

Old 12-06-2011   #89
barnwulf

I shoot almost all black and white film and rarely use filters at all. Sometimes a yellow. With my M8.2 I don't often use any filters unless I am shooting for a color image and then I use a UV/IR. I usually use B+W although I think I have a couple of Leica filters that came free when I bought the camera. Jim

Old 12-06-2011   #90
Leigh Youdale

I use B+W filters for B&W film, ranging from red to light yellow/green, but I don't bother with UV filters at all now. I used to when shooting colour but I'm transitioning to digital for colour work now. Fuji X10. I do use lens hoods nearly all the time.

Fuji X10
Leica M6
Bessa R4A
Rolleiflex (3): E3 Planar 2.8, WA & Tele
Nikkormat FTn (2)

Old 12-07-2011   #91
Bingley

I always use filters even though I only have one Leica lens. The lenses are in great condition, and I often shoot in dusty locations, so I'm sold on the added protection for the front element. Mostly they're B&W skylight or UV filters, although I got some clamp on filters for my Elmar 50/3.5.

FS: Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 12-09-2011   #92
Matus

I have once come across UV filter REVIEW over at LensTip.com where the Hoya HMC UV-0 produced the best results. Accidentally this is also one of the cheaper filters. I got these for all my Mamiya 6 lenses.
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 12-10-2011   #93
gavinlg

Recently put UV filters on my lenses. Got tired of using lens caps when out and also my filter-less 17-40mm f4L is looking very dusty under the front element (and thats a weather sealed lens!)

So I'm using the b+w 007 clear MRC filter on the x100, and hoya HMC uv-0 on the canon lenses. They're both pretty similar in optical quality - minimum artifacts under bad conditions, but the b+w is built much nicer - brass ring vs alloy on the hoya.

Old 01-03-2012   #94
21-135 Apo All Good

I always use filters, and try to always use Leica filters. No matter how many times I wipe them, I can't get a wipe mark to show! Rain, dust, fingerprints, all wipe-off with ease. I too have had a couple of close calls in my 45+ years of photographing. Filters have saved the lenses for sure!

To those that seem to have "flare" problems, perhaps the use of only the best newest optics AND the use of lens hoods would help solve your problems. Aspherical and Apo are the ONLY lenses I own, besides the Noct. and the Noct. tames light sources in the image.