Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Closed Thread

Bangkok bikini models...need advice please
Old 08-07-2009   #1
michaelbialecki

Bangkok bikini models...need advice please

I got invited to shoot 100 Thai female bikini models tomorrow night at a VIP pool party...It is being put on by a modeling agency who I know the owner from a social networking site here in Bangkok and she saw that I was a photographer and well, she asked me if I would be interested to shoot some of her models....I think my answer is obvious....so, there are going to be 100 models, 10 photographers (including myself) and a couple of art directors.....She sent me some examples of what she wants.....basically nothing special.....anyways....The photos are to be taken from 4:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. and then the party starts at 8:00 (she told me no photos at the party)..just drink and have fun.....anyways...I am pretty sure that most of the other photographers are going to be Thai guys with big DSLR's (they are everywhere here)...so...I feel stupid asking a "what should I bring question"....(I know my gear and know what I like)....I have already decided on this stuff

canon g10 (so small, but I probably wont even use it)
m2 and m6ttl

as far as lenses go..I dont have a whole lot to choose from

the 90mm summicron has to come
definetly a 50mm...(v1 summilux or rigid summicron)
35mm nokton 1.2
28mm elmarit
15mm vc

I am going to be shooting fuji pro 100 (color) the whole day..

Another question that I have is....should I bring my Hasselblad for a couple of rolls...I have an 80mm for it.....

I plan on bringing my flash as well ( a metz ) that works with m6ttl...anyways....any suggestions from you guys...I plan on shooting about 10 rolls but I am going to bring more just in case...what would you bring if you were me....2 hours of shooting in pretty good light....any tips or advice would be appreciated.....thanks...michael

Old 08-07-2009   #2
sleepyhead

You lead a tough and miserable life, my friend...

Old 08-07-2009   #3
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead View Post
You lead a tough and miserable life, my friend...
ha ha ha.....very funny....I know I know...I will admit....I do feel a little lucky..to be honest, I have no idea what to expect....only 100 male guests are allowed to come...I have no idea what that is about...but it should be interesting....

Old 08-07-2009   #4
FrankS

Sounds like a lot of gear, but take it with you and if you need it, you will have access to it. You could prpbably shot all of it with one Leica and a 50mm lens, maybe the 35 if the space is tight.

photography makes me happy

Old 08-07-2009   #5
Al Kaplan

Both Leica bodies, set up with a 35 and 90, bring the 15 and just maybe the 50, but you can live without it. Start looking for some smaller lighter weight functional lenses. For that shoot a 90/2.8 and 35/2 would be more than fast enough. You probably won't need a flash but if you take it bring spare cords and batteries. NO Hasselblad.

You're there to take photographs, not to impress other photographers. Clients only care about results, and you could probably get those with a 40 year old Canonet from the thrift store.

http://thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com

My Gallery

Last edited by Al Kaplan : 08-07-2009 at 07:26.

Old 08-07-2009   #6
elshaneo
Panographer

Use the Leica M2 with the 35mm Nokton, and the Leica M6TTL with the Summicron 90mm, bring the 50mm Summicron in case you might want to use it ;-)

Don't worry about the other equipments, just shoot, enjoy yourself and have fun !!!

http://shanelam.zenfolio.com/

Old 08-07-2009   #7
raid
Dad Photographer

Add a few rolls of ASA400 or ASA800 film just in case the evening suddenly opens up for photography. You need to be prepared for such a possibility.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-07-2009   #8
MatthewThompson

I'd bring only the Hasselblad for the simple reason that you'll (more than likely) be the only one shooting 120. In the wash of 35mm and digital snaps, your exposures will really glow and maybe give you some opportunity to be noticed and remembered.

Old 08-07-2009   #9
maddoc
... likes film.

M2 + M6TTL + 35/1.2 + 90/2 and enjoy !

flickr
pBase

Old 08-07-2009   #10
FrankS

50mm, don't leave home without it!

Old 08-07-2009   #11
michaelbialecki

hey thanks guys...I just cleaned up my gear and put in my Domke....it is heavy....too heavy...I have to trim it down....lots of good advice above......for some stupid reason, I really want to bring my Hasselblad too.....but maybe not.....and yes, I will throw in a couple of high speed rolls that I have in the fridge....but, I was thinking that was what the g10 would be for..oh..well...any more advice....I appreciate it...

Hey Al, I remember when we said good bye to each other in miami in the parking lot of that coffee shop....do you remember....I wish you could join me on this shoot....I think it is going to be fun.....

Old 08-07-2009   #12
historicist

this thread would have been much better had it been called Bangkok bikini models - pictures

Old 08-07-2009   #13
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by historicist View Post
this thread would have been much better had it been called Bangkok bikini models - pictures
sorry.....I know....I will try to post some photos up when I get everything in order...

Old 08-07-2009   #14
pagpow

Important to know if you will be shooting in a crowd, in which case the long lenses and long set up cameras might be pointless and counterproductive (weight, as you said) -- or will the models be set up for photos with clear sight lines -- possible to ask?

Old 08-07-2009   #15
michaelbialecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagpow View Post
Important to know if you will be shooting in a crowd, in which case the long lenses and long set up cameras might be pointless and counterproductive (weight, as you said) -- or will the models be set up for photos with clear sight lines -- possible to ask?
I already asked her the other day and I will be allowed to work with the models one on one....there are only going to be the models and the people from the agency during the shoot......I saw the location from photos that she sent me...a big pool on the roof of a building.....lots of light...good light too for those two hours....thanks, it was a good point

Old 08-07-2009   #16
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Don't worry if you forget your film, just enjoy!

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 08-07-2009   #17
MikeL
Go Fish

35mm, 90mm, and Hasselblad, for me.

Old 08-07-2009   #18
djonesii

I really like MF, bring the Blad and one M, I'm a normal kind of guy, works great w/ Foot zoom. I would suggest that you shoot Chromes/B&W, that will help to distinguish the photos from the rest of the same old noiseless digital that CanIkon pump out.

Dave

Old 08-07-2009   #19
MichaelW

I would definitely take the 28 or 15 wide lens & try to get some shots by standing right back & taking in all the madness. I wouldn't take the Hasselblad but the G10 should be easy enough to carry & will give you an extra option. Actually, I would take the 2 Leicas, one with the 35 & the other with the 15. I'd mostly shoot context shots with them & use the G10 for the glamour close-ups. Take shots to please yourself rather than what you think the promoter is expecting. When you get all your results back choose the 10 or so you like best & send those to them.

Old 08-07-2009   #20
FrankS

B+W film for the Hasselblad. That's a no-brainer.

Old 08-07-2009   #21
Al Kaplan

By the end of the shoot you'll wish that somebody had stolen your Hasselblad. It doesn't belong on a shoot like that and film cost will kill you, plus reloading time. Then you'll need to carry extra magazines, and it'll be too tempting NOT to take the 50 and 150mm lenses and you're opening a can of worms here. The quality difference is minimal. You're not going there to impress anybody with your gear. Also, a 'blad takes a long time for the noisy mirror to flip up. Some of your subjects might be caught in mid blink because of that. Impress people with your photos.

My Gallery

Old 08-07-2009   #22
user237428934
User deletion pending

The most important question is: do they know you will be shooting film? What if they exactly expect another guy with a big DSLR so they can get the files just after the event?

Old 08-07-2009   #23
ferider

Two Leicas, 35, 90, flash. And your GF to help you. Not kidding.

Old 08-07-2009   #24
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
I already asked her the other day and I will be allowed to work with the models one on one....there are only going to be the models and the people from the agency during the shoot......I saw the location from photos that she sent me...a big pool on the roof of a building.....lots of light...good light too for those two hours....thanks, it was a good point
How much does a return ticket cost from USA to where you are?
I will be your assistant.
I am good at carrying around cameras and lenses.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 08-07-2009   #25
Roger Hicks

Two Leicas

Two lenses

Nothing else (except film and perhaps a meter, and flash if you MUST). Otherwise you're going to be worrying about gear, not pics. Forget the Hasselblad: you're going for quantity here, not studio-lit perfection.

If the GF helps, you can't ask for more. I was photographing a friend's daughter last week and an assistant makes life much easier and (when you're decades older than your model) more comfortable for all parties.

Tashi delek,

R.

Old 08-07-2009   #26
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Like many others said, the two Leicas, one fitted with a wide lens and the other with the telephoto. I wouldn't take the flash... but then, I'd toss it in the bag (just in case). Also, two types of film, just in case light fades a bit too fast.

Looking at your work (I really admired your earthquake shots), this should be a cinch for you. Enjoy!!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Last edited by SolaresLarrave : 08-10-2009 at 16:22.

Old 08-07-2009   #27
michaelbialecki

ok.....lots of good advice.....I think the Hasselblad will stay at home....the m2 and m6 are coming with me...and...well, not so sure about the lenses.....I am going to sleep now and will decide in the morning....after I re-read all these posts again......no assistant....I work better alone.....cheers and thanks to everybody..........cheers...michael

Old 08-07-2009   #28
Al Kaplan

Glad to help. Try to keep it to 3 lenses. Bring LOTS of business cards.

My Gallery

Old 08-07-2009   #29
leicashot

Quote:
I got invited to shoot 100 Thai female bikini models tomorrow night at a VIP pool party...It is being put on by a modeling agency who I know the owner from a social networking site here in Bangkok and she saw that I was a photographer and well, she asked me if I would be interested to shoot some of her models....I think my answer is obvious....so, there are going to be 100 models, 10 photographers (including myself) and a couple of art directors.....She sent me some examples of what she wants.....basically nothing special.....anyways....The photos are to be taken from 4:00 p.m.- 6:00 p.m. and then the party starts at 8:00 (she told me no photos at the party)..just drink and have fun.....anyways...I am pretty sure that most of the other photographers are going to be Thai guys with big DSLR's (they are everywhere here)...so...I feel stupid asking a "what should I bring question"....(I know my gear and know what I like)....I have already decided on this stuff

canon g10 (so small, but I probably wont even use it)
m2 and m6ttl

as far as lenses go..I dont have a whole lot to choose from

the 90mm summicron has to come
definetly a 50mm...(v1 summilux or rigid summicron)
35mm nokton 1.2
28mm elmarit
15mm vc

I am going to be shooting fuji pro 100 (color) the whole day..

Another question that I have is....should I bring my Hasselblad for a couple of rolls...I have an 80mm for it.....

I plan on bringing my flash as well ( a metz ) that works with m6ttl...anyways....any suggestions from you guys...I plan on shooting about 10 rolls but I am going to bring more just in case...what would you bring if you were me....2 hours of shooting in pretty good light....any tips or advice would be appreciated.....thanks...michael
Honestly, if you are a photographer, you should probably have the answer to these questions yourself, no?

Other than that, may I suggest you bring some higher speed film than 100ISO. Considering asian weather, the 'good light' may never come, so you need to be prepared. Also, in terms of equipment, you need to decide based on what your client's requirements are, considering you're being paid that is...?

Lastly, keep your kit simple. It doesn't sound like a high end commercial shoot, just a PR event, so have sopme fun with it and keeping your kit simple will mean you spend more time thinking about the photography, and not the kit. Also, in future, if you're not able to answer these questions yourself, it's probably best not to take on the job. A client doesn't usually give second chances, so if you're not prepared, capable, experienced or confident, it will shot in your work and results...and you know where that leads......

Sorry to be so blunt, but this is the way it works. There are too many people calling themselves photographers these days and coming up short on jobs where professionals should be hired. Make sure you're not one of those guys....be prepared and ready...understand your limitations and only accept when you 'know' you can deliver.

Last edited by leicashot : 08-07-2009 at 12:39.

Old 08-07-2009   #30
mfogiel

I second Roland, 35mm on M6ttl with a fill in flash (wind the flash one stop down respect to the ambient light) for full body portraits. I would also take the 50 and 90 in case you cannot get close or you want a half body shot. No Hasselblad, it will drag you down.

Old 08-07-2009   #31
Frank Petronio
-

The girls won't really matter, the real opportunity is to photograph the other photographers working with the models, those will be the amazing shots as you capture both the photographer and the model working together. Trust me.

Just bring both Leica bodies and two normal lenses that allow you to shoot close. And shoot close. Shoot the girls as close as possible, walk them around and find where the interesting light is, pose them in front of strange backgrounds.

Then step back and shoot the other togs working with their big zooms and the uncomfortable expressions of both parties.

Leave the potato masher and Blad at home.

Old 08-07-2009   #32
leicashot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
The girls won't really matter, the real opportunity is to photograph the other photographers working with the models, those will be the amazing shots as you capture both the photographer and the model working together. Trust me.

Just bring both Leica bodies and two normal lenses that allow you to shoot close. And shoot close. Shoot the girls as close as possible, walk them around and find where the interesting light is, pose them in front of strange backgrounds.

Then step back and shoot the other togs working with their big zooms and the uncomfortable expressions of both parties.

Leave the potato masher and Blad at home.
I have to disagree here. I say let the guy shoot his own style and let his own eye do the choosing. Most photographers don't like being shot by people they don't know....and I don't see the models have uncomfortable expressions because of big zooms. Most models are used to big zooms and are more likely to react to the Leica M cameras instead.

Old 08-07-2009   #33
JohnTF

Location: Home is Cleveland, Summers often Europe, Winters often Mexico.
Quote:
sorry.....I know....I will try to post some photos up when I get everything in order...

I am asking Stephen now for a one time exemption to the 7 images a day upload limit.

I notice you only gave us one day's notice, I checked and Expedia says no more room on the flights.

35mm-- you may need to work close. ;-)

Regards, John

Josef Sudek

Old 08-07-2009   #34
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Another vote for the two M bodies with 35mm and 90mm lenses ... I really can't see any other option that makes sense!

Old 08-07-2009   #35
FrankS

Pleasant dreams, good luck tomorrow!

Old 08-07-2009   #36
KenD
Film Shooter

If you bring 2 types of film make sure that both are the same speed - this many bikini models will turn into a frenzy. And bring as many take-up spools as you own, with the film already started into the clip, so you can load fast, and pre-load when you go empty. And as Al said, lots of business cards.

If they want digital images the next morning shoot c41, and hit the One Hour for develop and lab scans.

Enjoy.

Old 08-07-2009   #37
Frank Petronio
-

Quote:
Most photographers don't like being shot by people they don't know
yeah! you don't get great shots by always being comfortable.

Old 08-07-2009   #38
Al Kaplan

It's best to use a one-hour where everybody knows you. Let them know ahead of time about when to expect you to bring the film, and when you need the scans. It'd probably be best to drop off thefilm on your way home so they have it overnight, assuming that it's a 24 hr place.

Consider bringing someone along to help with hair and make-up. Now THERE is a situation where some extra shots will pay off. . Any beutician would like some shots of themselves working on models like that, and then hang them on the wall of her shop, with your photo credit.

http://thepriceofsilver.blogspot.com

My Gallery

Old 08-07-2009   #39
35mmdelux
#Represent

The 50mm should be able to do it all; 35mm for group. Keep it simple.

Old 08-07-2009   #40
Pablito
coco frío

Bangkok.

bikini models ("bikini models")

Party "afterwards"

ho-hum.

Closed Thread