Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders

Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders This forum is for 35mm Kodak Retinas and Ektras rangefinders. The Retinas are known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses. The Ektras are known as by far the finest 35mm American made rangefinder ever made.

Kodak Ektra repair
Old 02-25-2009   #1
DC1030
DC1030

Kodak Ektra repair

Can anyone recommend a repairman for a Kodak Ektra Camera?
Of course the shutter jammed after a few exposures...
I know it's the repairman's nightmare but anyone might dare to fix it...
thanks

andreas

Old 02-26-2009   #2
furcafe

If you're talking about classic Ektra, the 1940s system RF, then the only person I know of is in the U.S., Ken Ruth of Photography on Bald Mountain (http://www.baldmtn.com/).
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 02-26-2009   #3
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

No one is likely to have experience of repairing an Ektra -- but competent repair people should be able to figure it out. The camera's shutter was of course the main reason for its rapid demise.
Flickr gallery

Old 02-26-2009   #4
furcafe

Also the fact that it was introduced during a period of economic austerity & was extremely expensive, particularly after WWII, when German imports were relatively cheap. Bell & Howell's Foton suffered a similar fate despite being very mechanically reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payasam View Post
The camera's shutter was of course the main reason for its rapid demise.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram