Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders

Kodak Retina and Ektra Rangefinders This forum is for 35mm Kodak Retinas and Ektras rangefinders. The Retinas are known for their German engineering, relatively modest price and superb lenses. The Ektras are known as by far the finest 35mm American made rangefinder ever made.

1/500 shutter speed of IIa
Old 01-14-2009   #1
malkmata

1/500 shutter speed of IIa

Hi everyone,
I just picked up a nice Retina IIA from Keh. I have my first test roll in it right now. One thing I notice it that I cannot change the shutter speed to 1/500 once the shutter is cocked. Is this normal for this model?
Thanks a lot.

Norman

Old 01-14-2009   #2
Al Kaplan

Probably. I've run into other cameras like that. I think another spring kicks in to get the 1/500th second speed. Both have to be cocked together.

My Gallery

Old 01-14-2009   #3
murpograph

yes it seems to be normal for the compur-shutters. I've noticed this for all Retinas I own. It is however not impossible to go for the 1/500 after cocking but it's quite hard (mentally) to overcome the resistance as you will be in fear to break a spring inside.

Regards
Udo

Old 01-14-2009   #4
malkmata

Thanks guys for the info. One less thing to worry about!

Old 01-14-2009   #5
VictorM.

Selecting 1/500 sec while the shutter is cocked is a very bad idea. The booster spring in a Synchro-Compur shutter for 1/500 is very strong and other parts may be bent or broken if the controls are forced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IIa Shutter.jpg (60.5 KB, 35 views)

Old 01-16-2009   #6
ZorkiKat
ЗоркийКат:Sharpeyed Kitty

The Retina instructions are contradictory. Another instruction booklet (later version) for the Retina IIa says:

"You can set the shutter speeds before or after cocking the shutter. But set 1/500 second preferably before cocking, since for technical reasons it is easier to do so. To set the shutter after cocking requires a little additional effort, although it will not harm the camera."

FED & ZORKII SURVIVAL SITE

Old 01-16-2009   #7
malkmata

I just found this second version of the manual online. I will just change the 1/250 & 1/500 shutter speeds before cocking. Don't want to take chances of breaking anything. Thanks guys!