Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus XA: BGN or EX?
Old 10-16-2008   #1
MarkoKovacevic

Olympus XA: BGN or EX?

I may buy one of these great cameras from KEH.com, and I was wondering what condition should I get it in? The BGN is $65, while the EX is $115
I currently have enough for the BGN camera. I'm a bit wary of buying BGN because my Nikon F5 is BGN and it looks well used, and I'm not sure if I will get a lot of use out of a non pro camera such as the XA if it comes in that condition already.
What do you guys think?

Old 10-16-2008   #2
BillBingham2

I have heard great things about BGN stuff from KEH. I've got an A11 flash I will send you for the price of shipping (almost nothing) if you get her.

I would call KEH and ask a person to pull the EX unit and their best BGN unit out and describe each one's condition for you. It is by far the best approach to see what you are getting. They might have a great BGN unit that is almost EX. Only way to tell is to have someone there look with you on the other end of the phone.

PM me your address when you get her.

B2 (;->

Old 10-16-2008   #3
MarkoKovacevic

I heard great things about BGN, but sometimes you get a user, and sometimes you get a almost EX camera. I got a user, as mentioned in the OP, and it was quite heavily used. I might call them up and ask!
Thanks for offering the flash! I don't know how I would pay for shipping as I would probably have to mail cash or something to you [I'm a high school student and therefore don't have a credit card.]

The main reason I would like the XA is the noise reduction over my Stylus Epic [even the F5 sounds quieter on single mode] and the manual settings.

Old 10-17-2008   #4
newspaperguy

I grabbed my XA last weekend for the first time in months (maybe longer) for a trip with my daughter to the Newseum in Washington DC. I had forgotten how near silent this camera is as I snapped some crowd shots and not even those close to me noticed.

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

Old 10-18-2008   #5
MarkoKovacevic

If I get this camera, what will I do with my Stylus Epic then?!

Old 10-18-2008   #6
Bingley

In my limited experience, the difference between BGN and EXC graded camera bodies at KEH is cosmetic. There should be no difference in function. In any event, given KEH's very liberal return policy, it's a pretty low-risk purchase: I'd say get the BGN graded XA, run a roll of film through it to test it, and if there's a problem return it.

The XA is a terrific little camera, both as a back-up and as a stealth shooter. Nice sharp lens, too.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 10-18-2008   #7
MarkoKovacevic

I'm torn between the XA and a 55mm f3.5 macro for my Nikon, but I think I'll get the XA because I like wide angles.

Old 10-18-2008   #8
Poptart
Screw Loose & Fancy-Free

The main thing that goes wrong with the XAs is the meter on switch, which is on the front of the body under the clamshell, and is supposed to turn on when you open the case; they tend to get dirty and stick so that the meter won't function - so neither will the shutter.

Old 10-19-2008   #9
Stanton

I've bought various BGN items from KEH and have always been happy with them. In many cases, I couldn't figure out why they were "BGN." I wouldn't worry. Dave

Old 10-19-2008   #10
Bill58
Native Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
The main thing that goes wrong with the XAs is the meter on switch, which is on the front of the body under the clamshell, and is supposed to turn on when you open the case; they tend to get dirty and stick so that the meter won't function - so neither will the shutter.

Second that--make sure they tell you the shutter fires! That's the Achille's heel of the XA. It's hard to fix yourself and it tends to be costly.

Old 10-19-2008   #11
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

I've got one that fires, appears to have an accurate shutter & meter but the meter arm stopped swinging. You can have it for postage if you want to try and fix it - there's a service manual on line for free at: http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download...LYMPUS_olympus xa.html

Frankly, I like the older all manual pocket cameras better and don't consider the XA to be worth my time or money to get fixed. Sure, it's nice, but there are many nicer ones.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 10-19-2008   #12
mh2000

use it for when the dim little RF will become useless...

I own both cameras, I enjoy shooting the XA more for outdoor thoughtful shooting, the Stylus Epic for everything else PS.

What are XA's going for on ebay? $100+ for EX seems damn high for this day and age. Superb Minox 35's can be had for $50 (and the Minox are *better* in many ways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoKovacevic View Post
If I get this camera, what will I do with my Stylus Epic then?!

Old 10-19-2008   #13
mh2000

PS if you go with the fixer-upper, the trick to getting the top off is to pry off the orange plastic shutter thing to get to the last screw (have to super glue it back when you are done). My indicator needle froze and it was just a stray piece of tobacco stuck in the coil (I used to smoke like a fiend).