Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus RC restoral
Old 12-30-2007   #1
jgcraft

Smile Olympus RC restoral

I have recently purchased an Olympus RC to restore. I need to replace the light seals, fix the light meter, refinish the chrome finish on the top and bottom plates and replace the skin. I was so impressed with some of the others who have repainted their littles jewels in black I think I am going that route.

The self timer arm somehow in its life got broken off and the top plate is dinged and bent on both sides.

Anyone have a parts body or a few odds and ends around that I could buy from you? Thanks for any help you can give me.

George

Leica IIIa/Summitar, Oly 35RC, Konica C35, Konica Auto S2, Yashica Electro, Minox 35GL, Iloca I, Iloca II, Nikon F, Nikon FG, Nikon N6006, Rolleiflex Automat, Minox B, Minox MX, Minolta 16s, Kodak Signet 35, Canon FX, too many box cameras to list.

Old 12-30-2007   #2
charjohncarter

jgcraft, if you find an extra bottom plate with this thread, I'll buy it. I've seen quit a few with the self-timer arm broken. Jon Goodman (google) has a great kit for resealing foam: $6. I just did mine, the RC is not the easiest one to reseal. But you can handle it. Be very careful with the meter. I have the Konica C35 which has the same meter fascia, or similar. Be careful where you make your wire cuts if you are removing the meter. The wires aren't solder friendly so be careful. I had to twist the wires together and then coat with finger nail polish. I saw how to replace the CDS cell on one of these on the Internet, he got the part at Radio Shack. Again (google Konica C35 meter repair).

Old 12-30-2007   #3
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

charjohncarter
That's an interesting observation about the wires not being solder friendly. I've just had a not dissimilar problem with my EC. The +ve battery lead was corroded and I did a cleaning job, and then tried resoldering back. The wire wouldn't solder - it seemed to be fine copper thread coated in black something. I thought because the wire was so brittle that the black was some form of corrosion and that was why no current seemed to be going into the camera. In the end I replaced the complete wire and now the camera is working.
jgcraft - you might have to do a bit of rewiring! Best of luck!

As far as parts are concerned see if you can pick up a non-working RC from eBay. My spare top and bottom parts are rubbish so I won't even offer them to you - sorry.

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 12-30-2007   #4
Kim Coxon

If it is of any help, I did an Oly 35DC a while ago. Details here http://pentax-manuals.com/repairs/restoring35dc.pdf

Kim

Old 12-30-2007   #5
charjohncarter

Kim Coxon, WOW that is really a nice presentation. I have it on my favorites for when I re-leather my RC.

Jeese1dog, I had that non-soldering problem on three of these cameras now, so I don't think it is contamination; Konica C35, Olympus Trip 35, and Olympus 35RC. Yet, other cameras no problem.