Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Olympus 35 RC Image
Old 11-03-2007   #1
Paul C. Perkins, MD
Perk11350

Olympus 35 RC Image

Never let anyone suggest your Olympus 35RC is a toy. I've had mine about two years and continue to be delighted with its' perfformance.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6595835

When I knocked. . . nobody answered . . .

Paul

Old 11-03-2007   #2
Solinar
Analog Preferred

The 35RC has the one of the nicest lens signatures. The five element Zuiko is a corrected Tessar design with an added front element. The two front elements focus as a coupled pair.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, an Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 11-03-2007   #3
OlyMan

The 35 RC was never a comparatively expensive camera but it was from a generation of cameras where the majority of your money was spent on the lens and build-quality, not features you may never use. So while modern-day techno-snobs may be appalled by it's maximum F/2.8 aperture and 1/500th maximum shutter speed, those who look at the pictures first rather than the camera that look them may well have a more forgiving opinion of this tiny pocketable RF (which I think was the world's smallest full-frame RF?)
The camera may never lie, but Photoshop is such an accomplished bullsh*tter it should be a politician

Old 11-04-2007   #4
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

It is a great little camera. I don't have a problem with the top speed of 1/500 (though I'd prefer faster, of course) and the f2.8 lens. My only major "complaint" is the lack of speeds slower than 1/15. Give me speeds down to 1sec and I'm happier!

John: Actually, the XA is smaller than the RC, though it came later of course. The Rollei 35 may have been smaller as well, though I can't recall which was introduced first.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 11-05-2007   #5
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar
The 35RC has the one of the nicest lens signatures. The five element Zuiko is a corrected Tessar design with an added front element. The two front elements focus as a coupled pair.
Andrew, doesn't this make it similar to the Heliar?

As for the smallest full frame RF, this guy is also slightly smaller than the RC.

Old 11-05-2007   #6
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Nope, a true Heliar has a cemented doublet at the front, - concave center element -, and then the traditiional tessar-like cemented doublet at the rear to make three groups.

Tessars are have a front plano convex element, a concave center element and then the rear cemented doublet, which is still three groups.

The E. Zuiko is a 5 elements in 4 groups. Think of it as Tessar with an added front element. The two front cells are not cemented as they are in a Heliar -

BUT FEAR NOT - I feel that compared to the other Oly's - to include the 35 SP - the 35RC is the Bokeh King!

The XA may be a neater package, but the 35RC, because of the budget minded E. Zuiko has a more traditional signature.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, an Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Last edited by Solinar : 11-05-2007 at 12:36.

Old 11-05-2007   #7
Spider67

Well sitemistic once told in another thread the price he paid when it was new and cheap it was not!
I am astonished by it's potential every time I use it. I wish it had a minimum apeture of f:2.....well I do have the 35 RD but along with it I also got its tarditional problem clogged shutter...therefore the RC leads

Old 11-17-2007   #8
Kent
Finally at home...

As far as the size is concerned, have a look at this pic.
It shows the Oly 35RC next to a digital Kodak DX7440, a digital cam that is considered to be compact so that you can take it everywhere.
The Oly is a little wider but the Kodak is a lot bulkier. Guess which of the cams slides into your coat pocket more easily?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35rc7440.jpg (84.0 KB, 44 views)
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Meyer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 11-17-2007   #9
Paul C. Perkins, MD
Perk11350

Kent,

For Christmas, I am giving my 10-year old son a Kodak digital that looks very similar to the one in your comparison photo. He lives about 1500 miles away - and I hope to connect with him better through photography.

Thanks for the shot.

Old 11-17-2007   #10
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. Perkins, MD
Never let anyone suggest your Olympus 35RC is a toy. I've had mine about two years and continue to be delighted with its' perfformance.

http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=6595835

When I knocked. . . nobody answered . . .

Paul
I've an RC one of my first RF's. Got it from on of the mods (backalley) way back when. Great camera and glass. Built like a brick.

Interesting film.. do you recall what it was?

it's all about light

Old 11-18-2007   #11
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. Perkins, MD
Kent,

For Christmas, I am giving my 10-year old son a Kodak digital that looks very similar to the one in your comparison photo. He lives about 1500 miles away - and I hope to connect with him better through photography.

Thanks for the shot.
Paul, I think this is a great idea. Hope it works out for you and you keep in touch with your son regularly.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Meyer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...