Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Which of the four photographers do you like the most? (Vote one)
Ansel Adams 55 20.22%
Henri Cartier-Bresson 144 52.94%
Garry Winogrand 48 17.65%
William Eggleston 25 9.19%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Who Do YOU Like Better
Old 10-09-2007   #1
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

Who Do YOU Like Better

Just curious and for fun, who of the four do you like better (vote one only)?

Ansel Adams
Henri Cartier-Bresson
Garry Winogrand
Willian Eggleston
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 10-09-2007   #2
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

While I like 3 of the 4, Bresson's images are more memorable to me, so I'll have to vote for him. HCB +1

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 10-09-2007   #3
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Why do we have to like one better?

Old 10-09-2007   #4
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F
Why do we have to like one better?
You don't. Just pick one, or don't. I like three of four, but picked Winogrand.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 10-09-2007   #5
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Ray, I'm familiar with these famous names but not their work... I should go to the library!

it's all about light

Old 10-09-2007   #6
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale
Ray, I'm familiar with these famous names but not their work... I should go to the library!
Yes you should, Jan! Here are some samples to jumpstart your trip to the library:

AA
HCB
GW
WE
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 10-09-2007   #7
eli griggs

I voted for HCB over Adams just because his work is on more of a human scale, but it was close.

The other two are mostly unknown to me and while I've seen some of their stuff before, I don't feel that they're in the same class as HCB or AA.

Eli

Old 10-09-2007   #8
RayPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli griggs
I voted for HCB over Adams just because his work is on more of a human scale, but it was close.

The other two are mostly unknown to me and while I've seen some of their stuff before, I don't feel that they're in the same class as HCB or AA.

Eli
works for me! I prefer HCB over AA, too—for the same reason.

I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 10-09-2007   #9
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPA
Yes you should, Jan! Here are some samples to jumpstart your trip to the library:

AA
HCB
GW
WE

Ray, thanks for the links. I think I relate a bit more to Eggleston, but I like what Cartier-Bresson does to put motion into a frame. Very interesting guys! Adam's only image that really interested me was Central Park Skyscrapers.

it's all about light

Old 10-09-2007   #10
Nando

When I first saw HCB's work, I was blown away. It was almost like discovering photography for the first time all over again. Of course, I've heard about the man and I was familiar with three or four of his photographs but after reading so much about him on RFF I took some time do some research on his photographs and it was an absolutely wonderful and educational experience. I think we'd all be surprised as to how much HCB is mentioned here on RFF. When I was a newbie here, it really seemed to me that HCB was THE photographer, especially when it came to 35mm rangefinder photography.

I can say that HCB is without question my favourite photographer. I really wonder if this guy ever took a bad photograph. I find many things about the man very inspiring.

I can't say the same thing about the other photographers listed. I appreciate their work and I like many of their photographs but they didn't affect me to same extent.

I also very much like Koudelka, Rodchenko, Erwitt, Alverez Bravo, and Salgado.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Last edited by Nando : 10-09-2007 at 20:48.

Old 10-09-2007   #11
Honus
carpe diem

I like them all, for different reasons.

Adams pushed the craft of fine image making to a new level. Plus, he was a Bay Area man. HCB is an icon for 35mm and (what is now called) street photography. His best images, imho, are masterpieces. Winogrand was incredibly prolific and imaginative with both subject matter and composition. Eggleston made the ordinary bizarre and the mundane complex. I also lived in Memphis in the late 60's, early 70's, so his images from that time have a particular resonance with me.

In the end, though, everything is just "light on surface". I voted for Winogrand. One of my favorite photos of his is this one, where's honus?, particularly since I am in it.

shootwideopen
flickr

Old 10-09-2007   #12
wray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honus
I like them all, for different reasons.

Adams pushed the craft of fine image making to a new level. Plus, he was a Bay Area man. HCB is an icon for 35mm and (what is now called) street photography. His best images, imho, are masterpieces. Winogrand was incredibly prolific and imaginative with both subject matter and composition. Eggleston made the ordinary bizarre and the mundane complex. I also lived in Memphis in the late 60's, early 70's, so his images from that time have a particular resonance with me.

In the end, though, everything is just "light on surface". I voted for Winogrand. One of my favorite photos of his is this one, where's honus?, particularly since I am in it.
I couldn't have said this better myself.

Old 10-09-2007   #13
Bingley

Oh this is hard. How could 35 mm RF users NOT vote for HCB or Winogrand? Well, I voted for Adams. I'm reading his Autobiography and studying his work. Adams was not only a great photographer, he was also articulate about his art. His discussion of visualization, and of the way he integrated craft, technique, and composition with the goal of establishing photography as an art form in its own right and not as derivative of other art forms (e.g., painting), puts him ahead of the others, IMO. Even if one is pursuing different aesthetic objectives than those of Group f/64, there's a lot to learn from his work and his writings. He admired HCB, BTW, and used a Contax from time to time.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 10-09-2007   #14
MikeL
Go Fish

One book I never get tired of looking at is The Animals.

Old 10-10-2007   #15
oscroft

It was a relatively easy choice for me - I've loved the work of both HCB and GW for ages, but HCB still edges it. AA's work is also superb, but for me a great landscape will never have the same impact as a great shot of life and humanity. And finally, I have to put WE in a very distant last place - I just don't get his stuff at all.

My Flickr

Old 10-10-2007   #16
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

I was looking for R. Capa on the list...
Could not find it so i went for the "mainstream HCB"

Old 10-10-2007   #17
J. Borger

My preferences change over time ... and are not always the same.
At this moment i voted Eggleston .... because his work is highly original and impossible to copy or mimic ........

Old 10-10-2007   #18
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

Have to admit that I still don't understand the aesthetics of Eggleston, despite all my honest attempts. Probably that part of my brain is underdeveloped.

My Flickr

Old 10-10-2007   #19
mfogiel

In my opinion HCB is difficult to beat, he has been an innovator in technique and style, he was a painter, and therefore a master of form and composition, he was sensitive to social side of things, so he kept the human condition at the mainstream, and he had an incredible talent and persistence. His best shots are simply miracles of all these elements coming together.

Old 10-10-2007   #20
Richard Black

Adams, for all the reason noted above.

Richard

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...r=1086&cat=500

My PAW: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-10-2007   #21
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Being the consummate New Yorker, I had to choose Winogrand. HCB and Eggleston are not far behind. Not to offend anyone, but as I became more and more involved with photography, while I do respect his achievements, the less I like Adams. I liked him even less after I read his autobiography and began to know his friendship with a certain historian who wanted to write the history of photography in a very biased way.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-10-2007   #22
RichC

I voted for Eggleston: http://www.masters-of-photography.co...ic_bottles.jpg

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-10-2007   #23
oscroft

Hi folks,

A few people have been praising WE here, but I honestly just don't get his stuff at all. I wonder if anyone who likes him would be kind enough to tell us what they think is so good about the photo in the link above? (I'm asking out of genuine interest - I'm really fascinated by other people's views on art).

My Flickr

Old 10-10-2007   #24
telenous

I appreciate Adams for his craft in B&W and colour respectively but ultimately his photography is not for me. Eggleston and colour is growing on me. I love Winogrand's work but my vote went to Bresson for the thrill and education his work gave to me when a photographic novice. In a certain way I feel that my enjoyment and understanding for Winogrand's work is amplified by the fact that I 'arrived' at it after looking at Bresson's photography. That's not to say that Winogrand's photos cannot be appreciated in the absence of what Bresson did before but I think they take an additional layer of interest if they are seen in a[n imaginary] street photographic dialectic.

flickr
instagram

Old 10-10-2007   #25
Todd.Hanz

Winogrand...of course!

Old 10-10-2007   #26
kbg32
neo-romanticist

MOMA had a exhibit years ago of Adams' early work - yes, incredible. I can't help not separating the man from his work. When I was a student, I worked in a large camera store and had the pleasure of meeting Gary Winogrand. While everyone is biased in some way, he was a genuinely down to earth nice guy. While I might not care for everything he has produced, I have respect for the guy.

It's funny, as I've known people who have gotten into photography, there are certain photographers who are always mentioned as favorites at the top of everyone's list. As they have matured, and progressed in developing their own style, they have begun to produce a new set of more "sophisticated" (?) favorites.

As far as shooting lots of film, it could be said for HCB as well. I have seen some of his contact sheets reproduced of some his well known imagery. He didn't always get what he wanted on the first try as sometimes we are lead to believe.

To learn our craft, hone our vision, we have to shoot - lots.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-10-2007   #27
ferider

I voted AA, but missed Capa in the poll.

One has to split AA from his marketing stereotype, see for
instance his 35mm (Contax RF, I believe) photos of Manzanar

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/collections/anseladams

not that popular in the US for obvious reasons.

Roland.

Old 10-10-2007   #28
Finder
-

Rather a limited list. There are many photographers I like better than all of those on that list.

Old 10-10-2007   #29
pesphoto

voted for HCB, but Kertesz in numero 1 for me

Old 10-10-2007   #30
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscroft
Hi folks,

A few people have been praising WE here, but I honestly just don't get his stuff at all. I wonder if anyone who likes him would be kind enough to tell us what they think is so good about the photo in the link above? (I'm asking out of genuine interest - I'm really fascinated by other people's views on art).
I would have taken that shot too... so I don't know how to tell you what it is about that photograph except I like it. For this one it may be how he has made a cohesive image from what at first seems an asymmetrical one. In looking at his photos in the link Ray provided, his work seems more about the concept first and then the image.

it's all about light

Last edited by jan normandale : 10-10-2007 at 06:26.

Old 10-10-2007   #31
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis
I like eisenstadt, cappa, the dustbowl photographers, eggelston (he grows on you after meeting and somewhat understanding the man), I also liked bob carlos clarke, there are many others I've liked -- usually, it's the image rather than the photographer --- Stanley Kubrick was an exceptional photographer, jack robinson, there's countless timeless images that really hit home with me
How true Blake!

Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-10-2007   #32
kalokeri
larger than 35mm

My vote goes to HCB.

Maybe I´m too much part of the so-called "Old-Europe", but I never was that much impressed by Winogrand or Eggelston. Cartier-Bresson was - in my eyes - one of the luckiest men of the last century. He was always at the right place at the right time - remember for example his pictures of Ghandyand his burial.

Thomas

Old 10-10-2007   #33
RichC

Eggleston link: http://www.masters-of-photography.co...ic_bottles.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscroft
A few people have been praising WE here, but I honestly just don't get his stuff at all. I wonder if anyone who likes him would be kind enough to tell us what they think is so good about the photo in the link above?
For me, Eggleston's images that work are those, like the one I posted, that seem ordinary but aren't - his photography looks casual, mere snapshots, but are very deliberate.

The linked photo, Black Bayou Plantation, asks questions, and draws you in: Why are those bottles there? What happened? What does it mean? This image is hyper-real, almost surreal; Eggleston has deliberately imbued the scattered bottles with significance.

Another favourite photographer of mine is Harry Callahan, who also creates images full of exaggerated meaning. Here's a short essay I wrote on one his photos, which, coincidentally, is also about something dropped: http://www.richcutler.co.uk/photo/essay_01.htm. Unlike Eggleston, Callahan is more traditional in his compositions.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 10-10-2007   #34
ferider

I always think it's interesting to see who those guys hung out with.

For example, this is Steinbeck with Capa in the background:

http://www.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc...F/PAR45598.jpg

Or the portrait of Georgia O’Keefe by Ansel Adams (another AA RF photo, BTW). Or Ghandi and HCB. Etc.

Roland.

Old 10-10-2007   #35
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Have to say that I've been a Winnogrand fan since highschool...though it's hard to pick from such a list.

Off the list, I'd say Arbus is my fav of the moment, or maybe Natcheway (sp?)

Last edited by cp_ste.croix : 10-10-2007 at 08:00.

Old 10-10-2007   #36
jan normandale
Film is the other way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_ste.croix
Have to say that I've been a Winnogrand fan since highschool...though it's hard to pick from such a list.

Off the list, I'd say Arbus is my fav of the moment, or maybe Natcheway (sp?)
totally OT... where have you been? I thought you dissappeared! Good to see you again.

it's all about light

Old 10-10-2007   #37
Ara Ghajanian

Thanks RayPA. If I didn't look at this post, I wouldn't have investigated Eggleston's work. Pretty great stuff. Makes me want to carry color film in my M6 at all times.

I picked Winogrand (even though I love AA and appreciate HCB) because of his attitude. He seems like the kind of guy I'd hang out with. His photos are good too.

lichtaffen.com

My flickr

Old 10-10-2007   #38
cp_ste.croix
At the beginning again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan normandale
totally OT... where have you been? I thought you dissappeared! Good to see you again.
In all honesty, I needed a break. Too much gear lust and there was a bit too much drama for me for a while. I've continued to lurk though.

It's good to be back, there are some great new members here!

And now back to the topic...

Old 10-10-2007   #39
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

I think this poll elicit multiple interpretation.

Do you like your favorite's photograph? or his personality? or both combined?

These can yield different choices. Personality-wise, I think my favorite would be Gary Winograd with HCB as a close second. But photograph-wise, Ansel Adams pulled off some of the best imageries I have ever seen.

Old 10-10-2007   #40
keithwms

This is a question that I certainly cannot answer.

I adore HCB for the importance he gave time; I adore AA for the feeling of timelessness expressed in his compositions. Two totally different approaches... but the output from both was equally seminal.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My RFF Gallery, and my APUG portfolio.
Lightcafe, a site for in-depth photo critique and discussion.